Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Gen IV VVT + AFM/DoD help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen IV VVT + AFM/DoD help

Hi there. Sitting in the UK it is hard to find people who know the product range inside and out.

Looking on the web just gives conflicting information.

I'm looking to find which LS unit ran both VVT and AFM. What models it was in and whether both combined did deliver better MPG on cruise.

I'm putting an LS in a Rangie Classic and not looking to mod a stock engine as they will have enough power for what I want.

I want an Ali block not steel.

VVT is a must to get a more appropriate torque band for an auto truck.

But, AFM is of interest and some sources say that L92 units ran it in the Escalade, others say it was just the L99 and without VVT.

I've read that the smaller cc L76 as the VortexMax ran both from 07-09 etc.

Also, if it AFM isn't on many engines is it because it was more of a marketing gimmick than a clear economy gainer?

Thanks,

Tim.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:22 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You want an L94, L99, or L9H,L92 those are 6.2s. The first two are truck/Camaro AFM/VVT engines and the latter is Escalade VVT only.

VVT? Thumbs up.

AFM? Not so much a fan. Maybe with newer better lifters but there copyright issues with those so no aftermarket support right now. The factory ones fail often, so not for me

I should note that if your on a budget the 5.3L found in GMT900 are mostly AFM/VVT engines as well. Can be had a lot less dollars but swapping these gen IV's is a major pita compared to gen III 24x stuff. Just saying be prepared its a lot more work to get one of these going.

Last edited by cam; 10-17-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added 5.3 info
Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Very helpful.

I agree, VVT is superb. Either for making a very racey cam driveable low down or for the purpose I want it for here, ideal for widening the torque band and running in a truck via an auto trans.

The AFM isnt as crucial but I want to use it if I can.

I'm thinking at the moment of getting a pull out from a 2010 Camaro auto. But as you say, breaking into the electronics of modern cars is messy. In this case I'd be happy to run with the standard ECU but I may run into issues as I'm going to have to swap the 6L80 for the 4L80 6x from TCI as we can't connect the LT230 TC to the more modern box and still have clearance for the case and shafts without a lot of work.

In the UK we have an engine management company called Syvecs whose stuff is top notch and I use it on another car and it controls the fan speeds, VVT, everything very happily so I may look to use that to control the L99.

It's going to be a messy task but I really want to try and use this modern tech as much as possible where sensible.

Quick Reply: Gen IV VVT + AFM/DoD help