Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need LS2 rebuild opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need LS2 rebuild opinions

Hello,

I am new to the site, but have lurked around for awhile now. Anyways heres what I got, what I want and my situation.

07 Trailblazer SS 110k miles
Truck is completly stock

Its my DD truck although I have a company vehicle for now but dont know how long that will last. I will be doing all the bolt-on stuff after the rebuild, LT, CAI, E-fan, etc and what I mean by later I mean months later. So it my DD and I dont beat on it, I do the occasional WOT runs from light to light or race someone out of the blue. It will see the track, 1/8 mile mostly, about 1-2 times in a 3-4 month period. I want it to be fast, just not looking to break any records (engine or trannys either). This time around I want to stay N/A. I had a Trailblazer SS before on NOS and a Silverado SS on boost. I want it to be reliable and street-able. Also not looking to spend a fortune. So heres where I am so far after talking to a build.

1-I can go with a Forged 365 short block around $3500 and redo my stock 243 heads.
2-For around 8-900 more he can do a 402 not forged and he said I can use everything else from my engine, heads, fuel, manifold, etc.

Now I will be adding a mild cam during the rebuild but everything else will remain stock until funds become available. Some might say wait till you have all the funds but I dont want to risk blowing the engine and the TBSS is know for losing oil pressure and losing number 6 bearing. Plus I am doing the tranny at the same time as the rebuild with a stall. Now I need you guys to give me options and builders also.
Thanks
Old 01-04-2014, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

If budget is important, AI or TEA can port the OEM 243 heads. Even though the stroker kit is more expensive, you are better off with it as the increase in torque will be worth every penny. You will most likely regret not going stroker if you decide just to keep stock stroke. When money is available, a FAST truck intake and the previous mentioned ported stock heads are best bang for the buck IMO.

Glad to see yo are addressing the tranny during the upgrades.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ERL has forged stroker short blocks for $3650, seems that is a little less than the others you are looking at and would be a great option. I think you will be missing out if you dont get the extra cubes while you are rebuilding. You would have to send them your block for the core but you could sell your current rotaing assembly.
http://www.erlperformance.com/gm-ls-...e-short-blocks
Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes tranny is getting done first, at 110k it wont last too long behind a 402. I went to that link and it onlyhad a 408. Will have to call them and ask for a 402 price. Will i have to upgrade the injectors if i do ported heads and a mild cam on the 402.

Quick Reply: Need LS2 rebuild opinions