Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Old School 5.3L GenIV

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old School 5.3L GenIV

I picked up a 2013 LC9 (aluminum block/heads) that had 24k miles on it. It does not have a transmission, harness, or accessory drive. It's going in a 1948 Chevrolet pickup. Based on my limited knowledge of the pitfalls in selecting a motor, I learned that I had to get the DOD and VVT delete kits. No problem. So I'm replacing all the lifters, putting in a HT1 cam and PAC 1211X springs. The 799 heads will remain stock. I'll be happy with the power to weight ratio of the truck, being roughly half the weight of the GMC donor pickup truck.

I could use some input from anyone familiar with the desired look I'm trying to achieve. I'd like a downdraft throttle body with a manifold that will accommodate
the sequential port fuel injection and fuel rails, to give the motor some height in that deep engine compartment. The coil packs will be relocated to the rear, and an air cleaner will be mounted on top.

MAST sells a DBW downdraft throttle body adapter, which may work. I'm sure there are others; but I haven't seen them. I have the 58X reluctor wheel and don't mind going with a 4L60e transmission.

I wasn't after a fully blinged-out accessory drive, just a clean, functional drive that will look good on the aluminum motor.

This truck will be a weekend cruiser, not intended for the dragstrip, but with sufficient power to put an occasional smile on my face. I'm not expecting to exceed 330 RWHP and 350 ft. lbs. torque with this setup. The truck weighs less than 3000 lbs., including drivetrain.

Am I headed in the right direction? Have I overlooked any issues that you are aware of? Can I expect relatively trouble-free performance from a setup like this?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by engine38; 05-02-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Maybe I'm in the wrong forum? I didn't anticipate that what I'm attempting is so unusual. I've tried MAST with several voicemails and an email, but they must be busy filling orders.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You might find more information on what your trying to do in the carb section. But for what you are trying to do a dual plane carb style efi intake would give you the power where you want it(low to mid range) and then top off with a 4150 throttle body and you set. the dual plane intake wont give you a whole lot of height but with all the hood clearance you have you could run a small horn type spacer on top of the throttle body under your air cleaner. This would give you a little height and allow a little more space for the throttle linkage, cable and bracket

Quick Reply: Old School 5.3L GenIV