Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil in cylinder...I hope this isn't bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Oil in cylinder...I hope this isn't bad

I have an LS2 that I bought as a drop-out. I've never seen it run and it was last run at least a year ago. It's on a stand and I'm doing a cam and oil pan swap.

Last night, I removed all of the rockers and then rotated the engine upside down and removed the pan. The engine sat upside down over night. Today, prior to rotating the engine upright, I noticed quite a bit of oil had settled in the upside down piston skirts. When I rotated the engine upright, several pints of oil spilled onto the floor (which was covered in packing paper). None of this concerns me.

I just removed all eight plugs. Number 8 was wet with oil. A few minutes later, I noticed some oil pooled on the outside of the head around the number 8 spark plug opening.

Obviously, LS engines don't normal rest upside down, so it's normal for residual oil to flow into places gravity would normally prevent. But I'm curious and concerned how it got into the cylinder. The only thing I can reason in my mind is that it worked its way past the rings while upside down. Unless there's something else I'm not considering?

I hope this isn't a bad sign.

Thoughts?

Tipsy
Old 06-07-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Just to clarify, the engine was not rotated up side down until after all of the rockers were removed. So all of the valves were already closed. This is why I'm concerned.

Tipsy
Old 06-07-2014, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it, Having the engine upside down with oil in it for that length of time probably let oil leak past the rings. I've been around circle track racing for years and a car only being upside down for minutes will cause them to smoke like crazy the first time they are fire up again. Valve position won't really make much difference, There is very little oil on the top of the heads of a non running engine so even with worn guides you wouldn't see much in the cylinder.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I will also add this, oil rings are only there to wipe oil off the cylinder walls that is splashed there in a running engine. Your compression rings need cylinder pressure to hold them against the cylinder walls while the engine is running to hold a tight seal.... They probably won't stop oil from passing by in an upside down non running engine.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the feedback, LLLosingit. I hope you're right. It seemed a bit odd that oil only migrated into the one cylinder, but hopefully it's a non issue.

Tipsy

Quick Reply: Oil in cylinder...I hope this isn't bad