Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LH8 Pick-Up Tube to Oil Pan Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Default LH8 Pick-Up Tube to Oil Pan Clearance

Just for future reference, this pan/pick-up tube combo is designed to have 1" of clearance between the tube and the bottom of the pan. This was verified by GM Performance Parts.

So, for those scratching their heads on how they are going to modify the tube to get to 3/8" clearance, GM says this set-up is designed to have 1" clearance.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:01 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Wow. I'd definetly would have been one to be stumped on that one. I wonder why it was designed that way.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Trust me, I was calling JEGS and telling them that they sent me the wrong pick-up tube because I had a full inch of clearance. I got the usual, "This is the first we've ever heard of this. We've sold hundreds of these. Blah blah blah." I guess most people just slap them on without checking a thing.

I wound up trying to bend the thing to get it to 3/8" clearance and managed to get to 1/2". The only problem was that the pan wouldn't sit on the block because the front of the tube was now causing interference. I called JEGS again, and they called GM High Performance, and then called me back saying that GM told them that it was within spec and could go all the way to 1 3/8".

I raised the bullshit flag and got the number from them and called myself. Sure enough, 1" of clearance is what it was designed for. The guy said that apparently they were having issues with the tube rattling against the pan at times at 3/8", and they wanted to leave more room to account for the morons who won't change their oil on a regular basis and start accumulating sludge on the bottom of the pan.

Either way, straight from the dragon's mouth: 1" of clearance on the LH8 pan.

Quick Reply: LH8 Pick-Up Tube to Oil Pan Clearance