Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Hey pro engine builders-Which is a better piston Wiseco LSX or Manley Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hey pro engine builders-Which is a better piston Wiseco LSX or Manley Platinum?

Which would you put a 408" stroker. I can get the manley's for 129.00 cheaper, only difference I see is they're -4cc instead of -3cc. Should I go with them over the wiseco's?
Old 12-10-2014, 07:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only piston we use is a Manley Platinum. We have special wrist pins made for ours too. If you order pistons through us (email, phone or website) we can get you any size they carry and offer a special LS1 tech discount!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:38 PM
74u
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When did these babies hit the market? They offer the EXACT piston config I needed when I was building my 416 earlier this summer. Bummer I ended having to settle for .5 less CR than I wanted...and they are lighter than my Wiseco's. Looks like price is a push after you buy rings (since Wiseco's come with rings).
Old 12-10-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CBM Motorsports
The only piston we use is a Manley Platinum. We have special wrist pins made for ours too. If you order pistons through us (email, phone or website) we can get you any size they carry and offer a special LS1 tech discount!
How much do the 592630c weigh? Do they include rings? Please PM me your bottom dollar price.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look up JE Asymmetrical pistons boy are those things light & strong have a set in mine.
920 bucks without rings (went with Total seal gap-less rings bought seperately) 11:1 with 70cc heads milled mine to get up near 11:8. I got a little 408 stroker LQ9 with Tick solid roller and Frankenstien LS3 stage 1 heads. I just called JE got there part number and ordered mine threw Jay couldn't get any discount on pistons.

JE part # 311979 .030 over bore for 4 inch crank stroker
Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I'd lean towards the Wiseco. They run a 1.2/1.2/3.0mm ring pack whereas the Manley's are a larger 1.5/1.5/3.0mm. Thinner rings = less friction/mo powa!

Last I heard, Mahle was going to start running 1mm rings in their pistons. You have to call when you order though to make sure you don't get old stock with the 1.5mm rings.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KCS
I'd lean towards the Wiseco. They run a 1.2/1.2/3.0mm ring pack whereas the Manley's are a larger 1.5/1.5/3.0mm. Thinner rings = less friction/mo powa!

Last I heard, Mahle was going to start running 1mm rings in their pistons. You have to call when you order though to make sure you don't get old stock with the 1.5mm rings.
I wonder how those JE ASR's stack up to the wiseco's?
I've looked into them...but they sure are proud of them!
Old 12-11-2014, 10:33 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by drain89
I wonder how those JE ASR's stack up to the wiseco's?
I've looked into them...but they sure are proud of them!
Yeah, $800 for pistons and pins plus the $185 for rings. Definitely not cheap, but that skirt design I'm sure is worth something.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

KCS,

Have you observed appreciable power differences with smaller rings and different skirt designs?

Not something I've had much if any experience with, but I know there is a large amount of power in the ring package if it's done right. Skirt design as well.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
KCS,

Have you observed appreciable power differences with smaller rings and different skirt designs?

Not something I've had much if any experience with, but I know there is a large amount of power in the ring package if it's done right. Skirt design as well.
I haven't conducted any testing myself, but I've been privy to some results from others who have. It's pretty intuitive, as you reduce friction, power goes up but there's a bit of a balancing act with wear and stability within the bore. The spacing of the machining grooves on the skirt even has a measurable effect!

It seems like the JE's were a very good idea to reduce friction by shrinking the skirt on the minor thrust, and leaving the skirt larger on the side with the major thrust to aid in keeping the piston stable and being able to spread out the load on that major thrust side.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If any vendors want to cut me a deal on a set I'll try them in my build with a known heads/cam/displacement combo...hint hint.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KCS
I haven't conducted any testing myself, but I've been privy to some results from others who have. It's pretty intuitive, as you reduce friction, power goes up but there's a bit of a balancing act with wear and stability within the bore. The spacing of the machining grooves on the skirt even has a measurable effect!

It seems like the JE's were a very good idea to reduce friction by shrinking the skirt on the minor thrust, and leaving the skirt larger on the side with the major thrust to aid in keeping the piston stable and being able to spread out the load on that major thrust side.
Obviously the finish of the bore would play a part as well, and the need to balance finish with durability and longevity. Definitely don't want a mirror finish bore on a street engine.

I ask because we're building a serious 9000rpm+ N/A motor right now for one of our employees and we're actually using that JE 4.185" bore 4.0" stroke asymmetrical dome piston in it. We have talked about trying some new things we have never done before with ring material, low tension etc. We've never built a 9000rpm+ motor so it will be a learning experience.

Might pick your brain on it one day.

Sorry for the hi-jack OP.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont sweat it Martin. I'm curious as well. What kind of finish hone does JE recommend for them?
Old 12-11-2014, 02:49 PM
FormerVendor

The finish hone IMO should be chosen by the machinist/engine builder based upon experience and the application. The ring package being used will also dictate the needed surface finish of the hone.

A race engine that will be refreshed once or twice a year would in my opinion have a much different finish hone than an engine that needs to go a minimum of 40,000-50,000 miles before a refresh. Or even longer than that.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From tests ive seen in a all out engine app ive always seen the .043/.043/3mm rings to well for themselves. Thats what i will be running. With a vacuum pump and gas ports. Only thing i wish i had was a little more compression. I will be spinning 9k-9500 in my engine

As far as the pistons you really cant go wrong with either. whichever fits the application best i would run.

Last edited by Violence.z06; 12-11-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many companys are owned by the same people but that dose not mean that the products are the same.The barrel and skirt taper designs are different from JE and Wiseco among a few other things

Ring material and face material determines the hone job along with sleeve material and lubricity,with the really small rings .032-.027 you have a very fine hone finish to not eat up the rings fast and keep seal as long as you can,1.5 or 1.2mm are forgiving on finish compared to them

There is power in the compression rings but the main friction is on the oil rings and a 2mm can do the job of a 3mm ring and cut the friction down quite a bit

Look at all the import motors what they use,they are a prime exaple of a motor that needs friction reduction to improve power

The wisecos have better features abide from skirt desing as in accumulator grooves,ring spacing ect..,Manley dose make good stuff but its not as advanced

JE has used the reduction skirts in Ford Nascar engines for a few years

Last edited by Ari G; 12-12-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Wiseco makes nice stuff, but all we use is the Manley Pistons for LS. They do make there own pistons (not subbed out), a good alloy, skirt coated and the quality/machine work is top notch.

We also like that Manely puts a relief in for the reluctor wheel, where as Wiseco doesn't, at least the ones we have used. When we told them about it...they never heard of this issue....yet other manufactures had them in there designs...go figure.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:37 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by ATK Engines
Wiseco makes nice stuff, but all we use is the Manley Pistons for LS. They do make there own pistons (not subbed out), a good alloy, skirt coated and the quality/machine work is top notch.

We also like that Manely puts a relief in for the reluctor wheel, where as Wiseco doesn't, at least the ones we have used. When we told them about it...they never heard of this issue....yet other manufactures had them in there designs...go figure.
Are you implying Wiseco farms out their machine work?

Also, Wiseco's don't need a relief for the reluctor. They use a shorter pin which allows them to narrow the pin bosses. It's been like that since at least 2008.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Are you implying Wiseco farms out their machine work?

Also, Wiseco's don't need a relief for the reluctor. They use a shorter pin which allows them to narrow the pin bosses. It's been like that since at least 2008.
Not at all, but as said, others do farm it out and Manley use too...just an FYI.

Yeah, that's what they thought as well until we showed them. It was making contact with the wheel. They also did not have enough side to side clearance with a Manley Rod...they said we should not have a problem with either of these 2 situations....They agreed with us afterwards.

I will see if I can dig up the pictures.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:32 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by ATK Engines
Not at all, but as said, others do farm it out and Manley use too...just an FYI.

Yeah, that's what they thought as well until we showed them. It was making contact with the wheel. They also did not have enough side to side clearance with a Manley Rod...they said we should not have a problem with either of these 2 situations....They agreed with us afterwards.

I will see if I can dig up the pictures.
Was this in something kind of one off, like a 4.10" crank and 6" rods?

Quick Reply: Hey pro engine builders-Which is a better piston Wiseco LSX or Manley Platinum?