Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LY6 budget turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LY6 budget turbo build

So I've recently picked up an LY6/80E combo for cheap. It will be cam only this summer then probably get a little boost this fall. I'd like 600-700 at the tires which I'm reading is possible with little modification on the Gen 4/80e combo.

Looking for opinions on the build. The combo had 124,XXX on it and came from a wrecked box truck. I'll be deleting VVT as I don't see a point in having it with a decent sized stall. The oil pan had a hole knocked in it. He said they didn't run it but I don't trust anyone. I'm thinking about just pulling the pan and tray and popping a cap or 2 off just to see what the bearings look like. If they are decent then I'll probably just leave them in. Toss in some ARP rod bolts, check ring gap on a couple pistons and if they don't need to be gapped anymore for boost (I'm hoping they won't due to the higher miles) then I'll stick it all back together and let it eat. Obviously the ARP head studs and I'll keep the LS3 top end.

Does it sound decent? If the tune is on point and the rings are properly gapped, I'm hoping the power I'd like to achieve is realistic for a pretty much stock long block with ARP hardware. This is my first turbo setup so I'm pretty green. Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

There is a mustang here with a stock bottom end LY6 with a small 218/224 cam making over 1000 HP to the wheels on E85 through a TH400 (probably ~1200-1300 at the flywheel). I'm not sure if he has even upgraded the rod bolts, since they often fail from RPM/detonation and not power alone.

Your goals are certainly do-able. For 600 to the tire I wouldn't even take it apart. The ring gaps have likely opened up at 120k miles enough for mild boost to not be an issue, especially if you run water/meth injection. Keep RPM down (you don't need high RPM with a turbo setup), and your stock bottom end will likely live forever with a good tune.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
There is a mustang here with a stock bottom end LY6 with a small 218/224 cam making over 1000 HP to the wheels on E85 through a TH400 (probably ~1200-1300 at the flywheel). I'm not sure if he has even upgraded the rod bolts, since they often fail from RPM/detonation and not power alone.

Your goals are certainly do-able. For 600 to the tire I wouldn't even take it apart. The ring gaps have likely opened up at 120k miles enough for mild boost to not be an issue, especially if you run water/meth injection. Keep RPM down (you don't need high RPM with a turbo setup), and your stock bottom end will likely live forever with a good tune.
Thank you for the reassurance. I guess I just need to be sure the bearings are good. That's my only concern because of the hole that was knocked in the oil pan.

Quick Reply: LY6 budget turbo build