Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ARP stud ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARP stud ?

So i started putting the Mast 305 heads on the LSX block tonight and i'm using Arp studs # 234-4319 i put them in hand tight and slide the head on i noticed the outer big studs and some of the small studs that the stud is about a thread lower than the nut which worries me a bit. i put all the studs in the right spot checked twice and i'm running .040 cometics is this due to the Mast heads being thicker? Whats the fix can the studs be backed out a thread or two to compensate?
I even torqued the middle two studs some to be sure it was all the way down that is 30lbs and no way its making that difference up!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

I've run into that before on different things and you can back the stud out a turn to get them flush. Are you sure that you have the correct studs for your heads?
Old 02-08-2015, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

To my knowledge they dont make any special studs for Mast heads and a LSX block they do make a set for RHS block and heads which are a bit longer on the big studs.
I did try the slightly longer end studs on the lower outer studs and they work fine and give about 1 thread past the nut. Some of the small studs can be moved also to address their shortness but still need longer ones for the extra 6th bolt position about
.100 on the big and small studs!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Talked with ARP today the tech was helpful but did not know the cause besides the heads being thicker. They are sending me longer studs free of charge and i'm sending the others back they just did not have any of the smaller studs to go in the 6th bolt hole position the max length they had was 2.725" so he said i should be able to back they out a tread or two to compensate as they are basically secondary bolts that have a low torque setting. Just letting everyone know for future builds!

Quick Reply: ARP stud ?