Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

what kind of damage to expect from an engine fire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of damage to expect from an engine fire?

Okay I am going to start off by saying I am new to this forum and I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question.

I have searched google and the forum and even though the I know the info is out there somewhere, I can't seem to find it, and now I am in kind of a time crunch so any info would be appreciated but if I am doing something wrong just let me know.

So my question, what kind of damage should I expect from an engine fire to the long block of an lsx engine?

The reason I am asking is that I happen to have TWO 6.0s that I got from the salvage auction that have been burned in engine fires, #1 is a L76 out of a 2009 G8, engine #2 is a LY6 out of a 2007 suburban 2500.

The main reason for asking is that I am currently trying to sell the LY6 and I don't want to tell people that everything is great and later find out that I sold them a pile of junk.

The fire was hot enough to melt all the plastic under the hood, the aluminum ac lines, trash all the accessories, the alternator bracket is showing some damage, I think the valve covers are warped, it melted half of the dash, and burned the tires about halfway up, but it pretty much stopped there, the paint on the front doors is still good, all the transmission wires survived, ect.

the engine turns over with a wrench fine. What I am thinking is that the long block will need all new seals but everything should be fine other than that. am I right? should I have the heads checked out? should I have the block checked out? is it all a boat anchor?

also can I ask what it should be worth? Im thinking $600-$700 but I am having a hard time finding a comparison. I basicly have the bare long block with the oilpan, flexplate, and exhaust manifolds.

thanks, Spencer
Old 01-04-2017, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a L92 block that was involved in fire. What I found was a melted barbel plug (it was pain to get it out), and both decks needed resurfacing and a line-hone for the mains. After all that it all went fine and been running OK for more than a year (and a few drag passes).
Old 01-04-2017, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by spencer.54
........I happen to have TWO 6.0s that I got from the salvage auction that have been burned in engine fires, #1 is a L76 out of a 2009 G8, engine #2 is a LY6 out of a 2007 suburban 2500.

.........The fire was hot enough to melt all the plastic under the hood, the aluminum ac lines, trash all the accessories, the alternator bracket is showing some damage, I think the valve covers are warped, it melted half of the dash, and burned the tires about halfway up, but it pretty much stopped there, the paint on the front doors is still good, all the transmission wires survived, ect........
With the type of fire (heat) damage you describe, I would say that those blocks need to be checked for cracks/warpage, and if found to be good-to-go, a full rebuild would follow.

Or.....you could sale 'as-is', but disclose to the buyer exactly what they're getting.

$600-$700 will require a very motivated buyer.

KW
Old 01-05-2017, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 01-05-2017, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Tear down and inspection is the only way to know, I work in a salvage yard myself and we get a fair amount of burners. On an LS engine pull the valley cover and check the lifter trays. If they melted then you have a core block for a complete rebuild, If they are fine then pull the heads and check the bores for rust. Most people seem to forget that fires are put out with water and it usually ends up in one or more cylinders and being an auction car it usually takes weeks from the time of the fire until the car is processed and sold so you usually find rust in the cylinders.
If it's a light fire then the heads are probably good but will need checked and springs/seals replaced at minimum.

I only pay $45 for damaged engines (cores) and would never try to sell one without telling the buyer....They will surely figure it out themselves.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 01-07-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Tear down and inspection is the only way to know, I work in a salvage yard myself and we get a fair amount of burners. On an LS engine pull the valley cover and check the lifter trays. If they melted then you have a core block for a complete rebuild, If they are fine then pull the heads and check the bores for rust. Most people seem to forget that fires are put with water and it usually ends up in one or more cylinders and being an auction car it usually takes weeks from the time of the fire until the car is processed and sold so you usually find rust in the cylinders.
If it's a light fire then the heads are probably good but will need checked and springs/seals replaced at minimum.

I only pay $45 for damaged engines (cores) and would never try to sell one without telling the buyer....They will surely figure it out themselves.
in your experience, what is the most common cause (causes?) of these engine fires.

i've never had a car burn up and would of course like to avoid it ever happening.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by truckdoug
in your experience, what is the most common cause (causes?) of these engine fires.

i've never had a car burn up and would of course like to avoid it ever happening.
I don't have a clue, You can tell that some had interior fires that spread to the engine, Some are just engine fires and some were burned in garage fires or accidents. I imagine there would be a recall if you could blame on a manufacturers defect like Ford had with their cruise control malfunction fiasco.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:03 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,086 Posts

Tear down and inspection is the only way to know, I work in a salvage yard myself and we get a fair amount of burners. On an LS engine pull the valley cover and check the lifter trays. If they melted then you have a core block for a complete rebuild, If they are fine then pull the heads and check the bores for rust. Most people seem to forget that fires are put out with water and it usually ends up in one or more cylinders and being an auction car it usually takes weeks from the time of the fire until the car is processed and sold so you usually find rust in the cylinders.

I've only built 3 LS engines, so I'm no expert, but I'm wondering which LS engines you can pull the valley cover off of, and see the lifter trays?
Old 01-08-2017, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Che70velle
I've only built 3 LS engines, so I'm no expert, but I'm wondering which LS engines you can pull the valley cover off of, and see the lifter trays?
All of them, All LS/Vortec based engines are the same 4.8 5.3 6.0 6.2 car truck van all the same, You can also see the cam and when the trays melt the plastic will run down onto the cam making it a pain to disassemble.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:53 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,086 Posts

All of them, All LS/Vortec based engines are the same 4.8 5.3 6.0 6.2 car truck van all the same, You can also see the cam and when the trays melt the plastic will run down onto the cam making it a pain to disassemble.
Lol, I was being sarcastic...you can't see the lifter trays from the valley. Maybe if they've melted, and ran down onto what little camshaft you can see from the valley area. The trays are under the heads.
This engine fire topic has been beat to death here on Tech. Some guys come out ok, while others not so good. Me personally, I wouldn't touch one. The iron block engines are gonna be fine...meaning the block, but it's a crap shoot with an aluminum block...unless your looking to find a core for a Darton re-sleeve, which I'm currently building.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Lol, I was being sarcastic...you can't see the lifter trays from the valley. Maybe if they've melted, and ran down onto what little camshaft you can see from the valley area.
Maybe it came across wrong but that is what I meant lol, Unless the car was upside down when it burnt the plastic melts down and you will see it.
Iron blocks are almost always rebuildable even though many have their doubts The machine shop I use sends blocks out to another local company that puts them in an oven to clean them. I don't know how hot it gets but they come back looking like new so heat in the iron block doesn't bother me.

I've never tried rebuilding an aluminum block after a fire, Considering the low temp that aluminum will start to melt and the different expansion rates of dissimilar metals, I can't see trying it unless it was a low heat type fire.
Same thing with heads, I have never used them unless the fire was minor.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Teching In

thanks for the advice everyone,

I pulled the top end of the LY6 down today, everything looks okay so far, the lifter trays are fine, the valve covers seem fine, other than the valve cover gaskets all of the other gaskets look to be intact which I guess means the fire wasn't all that hot. there was some minor rust in the cylinders.

the plan right now is to try to sell it for what I can and I will tell the buyer everything I know about it.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Good info here because I was also tempted to buy a fire sale motor.

Quick Reply: what kind of damage to expect from an engine fire?