Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Pulling L9H to overhaul, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling L9H to overhaul, need advice.

Afternoon,

Bought a 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ awhile back because I could not pass up finding the 6.2 L9H. Every other truck within the province seemed to come to a 5.3L.

The truck is performing fine but mileage has reached 200,000 KM, (124274 miles) and I'd like to keep everything in tip-top shape as this motor is my pride and joy next to my Harley. The way I figure it is the truck is simply there to move my engine around and keep it oiled.

I've got some time off work now and I'd like to put it in my shop, pull the motor and rebuild it but unlike the SBC 350's of yesteryear I simply cannot seem to locate a rebuilding package. While the motor is out I figure it'd be a good time to take it down to the block, have the heads and block cleaned then rebuild using stock crank, LS9 cam, new lifters, new bearings, etc.

Other than going to Rock Auto and piecing it out one part at a time can anyone offer any advice on finding a kit with stock components?

Thank you in advance for your time.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If it's not burning oil, gas mileage has gone in the toilet, making a knocking noises or leaking like a sieve, then why bother?

If you don't NEED every last drop of HP or fuel economy, I would leave it alone.

If you're after more HP, then adding a LS9 cam by itself won't really do much.

If you want to make A LOT more HP, then heads, cam, headers, converter, tune, blah, blah, blah are what you're after.

As far as a "rebuild kit" goes, probably not going to find one. You'd be better off piecing it together yourself anyhow if you like to know what brand each component is.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel economy has indeed gone into the shitbox. Otherwise it's pretty solid but theres no real harm in taking it down to the block and rebuilding is there?

This year after I'm done sinking money into the latest bike project I was going to look into sinking some coin in to see if I can't open the engine up a little. Reading lots of tech articles about supercharger swaps has got me thinking.

I bought the 6.2 because I wanted a performance motor, it's been a faithful workhorse for awhile now and I figure its time it becomes more of a toy.

Quick Reply: Pulling L9H to overhaul, need advice.