Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

427ci LS2 Won't stay running, getting Cam Sensor code

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation 427ci LS2 Won't stay running, getting Cam Sensor code

Hi guys,

A friend of mine has recently bought and installed a 427ci LS2 in his 2002 yellow Z06.

He bought the motor from MTI and had them do a "base" mail order tune to get the car up and running. Since I can tune LS1/LS6 cars, he wanted me to really dial in the car with my tuning abilities.

Long story short, I am getting this code:

PO342 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Low Input

The wires were extended, clearing all belts and pulleys and the sensor bolt is nice and snug to hold it in.

I did do a search and the only thing I found was that someone mentioned that you just can't "extend" the wires, you have to swap the two outer wires with each other.

Has anyone else heard of this?

The car when cold will start up somewhat (with my tune) and then it will die. The only way to keep it running is to hold your foot on the gas. As soon as you clear the code, it comes right back when you crank the car over.

Please help out if you can....

Bill
Old 04-14-2005, 08:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to swap the 2 outside wires around at the Cam shaft position sensor(red and black or brown).I expect that your tach isn't working either

I ran into the same problem,switch those wires ASAP and your car will run great.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

The tach does work.

I am waiting for a phone call from the person that installed it to see if they swapped the wires or not.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cam sensor is very sentive. I had a scratch on mine and it ran like crap without throwing a code. Make sure it is in good condition. I would think the wiring is your issue. Are the wires soldered or just butt connectored together. Use a multimeter to check resistance from where it was extended to the sensor.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

I found out that the wires were connected straight so it looks like I will have to swap the 2 outer wires with each other. I will do this when I get home from work today.

Thanks for the tips!!!

I'll post more results later on.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:27 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billiumss
I found out that the wires were connected straight so it looks like I will have to swap the 2 outer wires with each other. I will do this when I get home from work today.

Thanks for the tips!!!

I'll post more results later on.

This has been an ongoing issue with the LS2 if you use its Cam sensor with the stock harness you have to swap some wires around. I guess that needs to go into a FAQ. I know one guy who welded up a boss an installed an Ls1 sensors out back to eliminate this issue.

Quick Reply: 427ci LS2 Won't stay running, getting Cam Sensor code