Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 oil pan question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS2 oil pan question

Does anyone know if the GTO LS2 deflector is the same part that was used on the LS1 oil pan? I know that the C6 LS2 uses the same part #, but I did not know if the front sump made it fit any different. I could just pull the engine apart and check, but I did not want to pull it apart if I had to order a new deflector. I am pulling the front sump off and putting a F-body pan on, and I have the pan, but the guy that sold me the pan did not send the deflector.

Thanks, John McGraw
Old 08-26-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only difference would be the location of the semi circular notch which allows the oil pick-up tube through the deflector.
If you are changing from a front sump to a F-body pan then you'd need to be changing the oil pick-up tube to an F-body item also.
Dipstick location may also need to change.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

I have the pick-up, but did not know if the deflector was different. I guess that I will just drop the pan tomorrow and see if the pickup will go on with my exsisting deflector. If I have to leave the engine open for a couple of days while I get a new deflector, it is not that big of a deal. I will have to put the dipstick back in the block instead of the pan like the GTO, but I will have to go with a Lokar or similar unit. There is no way a LS1 dipstick will clear the Holden Cast headers.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-27-2005, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
...There is no way a LS1 dipstick will clear the Holden Cast headers.
Holden cast headers? Why not LTs?
Old 08-27-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

That is just what came on the engine, and all reports I read on them says that they breathe pretty good. This is a street cruiser and not a full gonzo horsepower car, and I am trying to use as many original parts as possible. My current car, a 59 Vette, has all aftermarket parts like headers, S&P drive and accessories, ect. This one I want to look like it came from the factory that way, and am really making an effort to avoid all the glitz on this car. I don't know if I will be able to avercome the urge to fabricate and polish, but I am trying! I will glass bead the exhaust headers and will chrome ceramic coat them to make them look nice! This car is going to make way more horsepower than the tires will be able to handle, so pumping more horsepower into it is an effort in futility anyway! 245 tires are the largest that will fit in the wheelwells of a 65 Vette, and I can't move the wells in without encroaching on the top storage area.
I pulled the pan today, and the correct answer on the deflector is, the deflectors are different. The Front-sump LS2 deflector lacks the place to accept the mounting leg for the pick-up, but with a torch and a ball-pein hammer, I managed to dimple the deflector enough to mount the leg.

Regards, John McGraw

Quick Reply: LS2 oil pan question