Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Running hot??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running hot??

On the highway, all seems normal. If I put the AC on or it is hot outside, (over 85) all the engine temps go up. Water,. oil ect.. I spent the bucks to install an electric water pump.. No help..

The car runs good.. Just much hotter with the new motor.

What is too hot?? Way too much money invested to ruin this..

Thanks in advance..
Old 10-11-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fastbasser
On the highway, all seems normal. If I put the AC on or it is hot outside, (over 85) all the engine temps go up. Water,. oil ect.. I spent the bucks to install an electric water pump.. No help..

The car runs good.. Just much hotter with the new motor.

What is too hot?? Way too much money invested to ruin this..

Thanks in advance..
A bigger cubed engine can be totally and perfectly cooled by the stock cooling system. I have about 90 additional cubes and its perfect.

If you are running cool on the highway that tells me that your air dam and everything is working. If you're having troubles in the city or with the A/C on, it sounds like the fans aren't working.

But, also, if it gets hot when you turn the A/C "on" and the fans are working properly, your condenser is most likely all clogged up with crap. Little sticks, rocks, grass, etc. Over time it will get clogged up.

Mine was doing the same thing a few years ago. Engine ran cool 100% of the time, no matter what kind of crazy driving I would do....AS LONG AS THE A/C WAS OFF. The second I turned it on the temp would literally go into the red if I let it in about 3 minutes. Turn the A/C back off and it would immediately drop back down to normal temp in a matter of minutes.

I took my radiator out and looked at my condenser and it was almost completely blocked by crap. I left it hooked up and in the car....but I banged it hard against the frame of the car about 50 times and everything came out. I banged it in a forward direction so the crap would come out of the front of the condenser. I had a pile of **** on the ground. Problem solved. I can now run in heavy stop and go traffic on a 90* day and blast my A/C for 1 hour straight.

Maybe thats your problem too.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would like to think the shop that built the engine and tranny checked that before they reassembled everything.. I noticed it when I first drove it home and was told not to worry about it..

I will be removing and changing the air intake system over the winter. I guess I will try and check for any type of crap in the condensor at that time.

It's worth a look..

Thanks..
Old 10-11-2007, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

what quicken said, it is either your fans are not working with the a/c on, or your condenser is plugged not letting airflow through when you are sitting. What is the temp of air out of the vents with the a/c on at idle? Turn your a/c on with the car idling and look to see if the fans kick on. They should.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fastbasser
I would like to think the shop that built the engine and tranny checked that before they reassembled everything.. I noticed it when I first drove it home and was told not to worry about it..

I will be removing and changing the air intake system over the winter. I guess I will try and check for any type of crap in the condensor at that time.

It's worth a look..

Thanks..
They don't touch the condensor or radiator to install an engine though. Andthe only way to see the clogged stuff in the condenser it to look at it straight on.

The only other thing that can make an engine run hot "AFTER" you turn the A/C on, is a compressor that is failing in a way where the engine is being so dragged down that it has to work very hard, but you would probably hear it struggling and you would get a big drop in rpm when idling and the engine would probably struggle to idle right.

As you probably know, the air flow from the air dam has to go through the condenser before it hits the radiator. The condenser starts getting warm as soon as you turn the A/C on. If the condenser is clogged, just partially it will get alot hotter and any air making it through the condenser to the radiator will be hot air already. The radiator can't keep up with that. The radiator needs cool air all the time, otherwise it will keep getting hotter and hotter.

I'd check it now before diving into the other problems. If its only happening when you turn the A/C on, its the condenser.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Also, make sure your fans are working on both settings, low and high. But still, even if they only come on low, the engine wouldn't overheat right after you turn the A/C on....and than run fine with the A/C off.

Quick Reply: Running hot??