Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Generation IV Internal Engine
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Generation IV Internal Engine
2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9
Sponsored by
ERL Performance

Cylinder Head Surface Finish?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
TECH Enthusiast

Trader Rating: 14
Default Cylinder Head Surface Finish?

What is the proper finish of the Aluminum cylinder head surface? The Patriot Performance LQ9 heads that I bought and put on my L92 short block have a real smooth finish, almost mirror like? I always thought that they should have a little rougher finish to seal properly, but I put them on as they were

The reason I am asking is my tuner says that I may be losing compression when my engine gets hot. I have the new FelPro head gaskets and the car runs decent, but it does not make good wot power. After I put the FAST 90/90 combo on, the car lost power. It went from 450 rwhp/470rwt to 420/440. The power really drops after 5,000 rpm. I am going to pull the heads and have them resurfaced. I am also going to change the cam to one that Patrick G recommended, but right now I am frustrated!

Anyone else ever have a similar problem?
ERL block based 434 motor short block is sitting on my engine stand waiting to go in the SS one day: ERL Block-434, Callies Dragon Slayer Crank and H/I beam rods, Wiseco, Lunati lftrs, GM CNC Ported LS3 Heads

http://photobucket.com/albums/d52/Deeavi/
Deeavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
TECH Enthusiast

I just found an answer here: http://www.aa1car.com/library/ar996.htm

I guess I won't know unless I pull the heads and check them?
ERL block based 434 motor short block is sitting on my engine stand waiting to go in the SS one day: ERL Block-434, Callies Dragon Slayer Crank and H/I beam rods, Wiseco, Lunati lftrs, GM CNC Ported LS3 Heads

Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
KCS

Trader Rating: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeavi View Post
What is the proper finish of the Aluminum cylinder head surface? The Patriot Performance LQ9 heads that I bought and put on my L92 short block have a real smooth finish, almost mirror like? I always thought that they should have a little rougher finish to seal properly, but I put them on as they were

The reason I am asking is my tuner says that I may be losing compression when my engine gets hot. I have the new FelPro head gaskets and the car runs decent, but it does not make good wot power. After I put the FAST 90/90 combo on, the car lost power. It went from 450 rwhp/470rwt to 420/440. The power really drops after 5,000 rpm. I am going to pull the heads and have them resurfaced. I am also going to change the cam to one that Patrick G recommended, but right now I am frustrated!

Anyone else ever have a similar problem?
Take the FAST 90/90 off and see if you pick that power back up. If you do too many changes at once, it's hard to pinpoint whats hurting and whats helping.

With the LQ9 heads, whats your compression ratio at? What size chambers did ya get?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCS View Post
Take the FAST 90/90 off and see if you pick that power back up. If you do too many changes at once, it's hard to pinpoint whats hurting and whats helping.

With the LQ9 heads, whats your compression ratio at? What size chambers did ya get?
Most of my stats are in my signature!

compression should be 10.8 to 1. 72cc Combustion Chambers, 0 Piston Deck Height. .053" thick 4.1" bore head gaskets. This engine should be making close to 500 rwhp. I think the cam is hurting it now, but I am not going back. The FAST 90/90 stays. Besides, I don't have anyhing to go back too. Sold my old stuff to help pay for the new.

Last edited by Deeavi; 11-01-2007 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: add stuff
Old 11-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Trader Rating: 175

Why such the low compression? You might have not installed the fast correctly and have a leak.
Beaflag VonRathburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:54 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
cylinder, finish, head, run, surface