Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Started building my F/I LSx

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:47 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Started building my F/I LSx

Started assembly today on my LSx for my mustang and ran into a small snag. So far everything is straight forward and the same as the LS1/6. We ran into a small problem using a double roller timing chain. The bolts are in a different location than factory so the chain hits the 13mm cam retainer bolts. Switched out to 10mm bolts and still hits. Finally went to button head bolts similar to the ones that are used on the valley cover with a Fast intake manifold and it still hits just slightly. I guess my next move is to use countersunk bolts.

For you guys that have built the LSx what did you do to keep the rope seals on the retainer plates for the front cam retainer and the rear cover?
Phil
Old 12-13-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would counter sink them. Either that or ditch the double roller. As for the ropes seals I always use a dab or 2 of the black weather strip adhesive. The weather strip thing is not LSX specific but it works on alot of other things.

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Started assembly today on my LSx for my mustang and ran into a small snag. So far everything is straight forward and the same as the LS1/6. We ran into a small problem using a double roller timing chain. The bolts are in a different location than factory so the chain hits the 13mm cam retainer bolts. Switched out to 10mm bolts and still hits. Finally went to button head bolts similar to the ones that are used on the valley cover with a Fast intake manifold and it still hits just slightly. I guess my next move is to use countersunk bolts.

For you guys that have built the LSx what did you do to keep the rope seals on the retainer plates for the front cam retainer and the rear cover?
Phil
Old 12-14-2007, 08:24 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1curious
I would counter sink them. Either that or ditch the double roller. As for the ropes seals I always use a dab or 2 of the black weather strip adhesive. The weather strip thing is not LSX specific but it works on alot of other things.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to pickup bolts today and countersink the plate. I really don't want to get away from the double roller with the damper if I don't have to. I found a bag of bolts @ fastenal that will work but I'm heading over to Lowes and HD to see if I can get a smaller quanity.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Banned

Countersunk we did.

you will grind down those allen bolts till theirs nothing left before it will clear.

I find ACE or McMaster has best selection of fasteners.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

GM makes a countersunk bolt for the newer style cam plates.

Quick Reply: Started building my F/I LSx