Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS9 engine images from Detroit Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS9 engine images from Detroit Auto Show

I posted this to the vehicle specific section for the Corvette but I figure the engine stuff might be of interest to non-Corvette people so I am reposting this in the Gen IV engine related section - sorry for the multiple postings (hopefully that isn't considered poor forum form).

I think other people have already posted a lot of pictures from the show on other web sites but in case these are of interest, I went to the Detroit Auto Show/North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) yesterday for one of the automotive industry preview days (16 & 17th).

Here are some pictures of the car, of the engine and of the chassis/engine/driveline display they had. We created a web page for them all at:
http://www.lingenfelter.com/2009C6ZR1Corvette.htm

The sectioned display engine still had a three bolt camshaft so it might have been an early prototype engine (I assume they have switched to a single bolt camshaft on the production LS9 engines like the later LS2 engines use but I could be wrong):

My camera doesn't take great pictures but you can see one of the piston oil squirters/jets in this image (and the dished pistons):

Here you can see the new oil cooler (liquid to liquid type):

Here you can see the 11 rib pulley on the supercharger:

Everything seemed a bit lower key compared to previous year's shows but overall a great show as usual. 5 or 6 hours and I almost set in every car in every booth (I am no fun to go with to car shows ).
Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice cut away motor from GM, as to be expected.

I couldn't tell from the photo's (probably due to over headlights glare), did the cut away block have cylinder liners or no?

Any idea if GM plan's on making a version of that manifold for the LS7 heads.
I think you could make a killer setup with that manifold matched to either a LSX or Warhawk 427 with the 6 bolt per cylinder heads.
Or a tall deck variant of either (although you would need spacers for the manifold with the tall deck's block).
Old 01-18-2008, 12:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS9 block

With the way the display engine was prepared (polishing/painting), it was hard to see any liner but I am sure they are using a liner. The press release material says it is a cast iron liner.

No idea on the LS7 intake thing although that would seem unlikely to me for an aftermarket only application given the tooling cost etc.

Originally Posted by Bring the Noise
Nice cut away motor from GM, as to be expected.

I couldn't tell from the photo's (probably due to over headlights glare), did the cut away block have cylinder liners or no?

Any idea if GM plan's on making a version of that manifold for the LS7 heads.
I think you could make a killer setup with that manifold matched to either a LSX or Warhawk 427 with the 6 bolt per cylinder heads.
Or a tall deck variant of either (although you would need spacers for the manifold with the tall deck's block).
Old 01-18-2008, 12:51 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome pictures. I really like that color too.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the pictures Jason! 5-6 hours?? Sitting in every car??

Kurt

(Note to self) Jason Haines wants to attend a car show, wants to know if you want to go....answer NO!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, thanks for posting pics.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the color too.

Quick Reply: LS9 engine images from Detroit Auto Show