Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Main Bearing ARP bolts . questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Main Bearing ARP bolts . questions

My engine builder here in columbus ohio is totally screwing me over so im going to take it to someone else ... I told him to Repace the main bearing bolts with ARP stud bolts and he didnt , now i got my engine back , and my question is .. I got the ARP main bolt myslef .. 20 total studs with nuts and 10 bolts for the side main cap.
Now my question is can i just take one single bolt out at a time and thread a stud and torque them down one at a time ? or should i disassemble the whole engine ?

Now my other Question is On the ARP Bolt sheet its telling me for the inner studs 4.770 long to torque them down to 60 Ftlb, and the outer studbolts 4.550 long to torque them down to 50lb , and the side bolts torque them down to 20ftlb .. These Bolts are going into an ALumunim LS2 Block. Or should i torque the bolts downn to the Factory Specs ? which would be the factory bolts torque to 15ftlb , and then final pass would be 80 degrees , same withe the studs its saying first pass 15ftlb ,then final pass is 51 degrees , thats all i was wondering if someone could help me out i would greatly appricaate it .. thanks again
Old 01-28-2008, 05:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to disassemble the engine,install the main studs and check main bearing clearance,sometimes the main studs will distort the cap differently than the factory bolts due to the difference in torque.thats why we always line hone the block using the correct fasteners to be used in the engine
Old 01-28-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question about arp

so these studs might just not work well with my application ? Its not a good idea to reuse the old Main studs is it ? i wouldnt think so .. with the LS2 engine with about 11k on it ..
Old 01-28-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Arp

so the torque specs i listed might not be right for my application ?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question ok about rod bolts then ARP 8725's

ok so if i keep on taking the 7/16" rod bolts lose and then torqueing then back to 64ftlbs wont i have to replace then ? or is that only one they get heated up ?

Quick Reply: Main Bearing ARP bolts . questions