Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

2005 C6 LS2 Head Problems....

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 C6 LS2 Head Problems....

Ok so I bought a 2005 C6 and it ran perfectly fine. Now the passenger head has a very hard tick/squeaking noise to it. I brought to a Chevrolet Dealer here in Ohio and they took the head off and the #8 intake valve is very loose in the guide. Thank god its under warranty but I was wondering if anyone has had this problem with the LS2 and any speculations on what could have caused this? Also from the factory the lifters in the passenger side were put in backwards I guess? and there are wear marks/gashes on the cam. The dealer is replacing all the lifters, cam, and head b/c of this...I'm taking advantage of this and throwing in an aftermarket cam, pushrods, valve springs and Ti ratainers while they are in there. Does anybody know what could of caused this mishap?

Anthony
Old 03-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

bump anyone??
Old 03-09-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by C6Antwon
Ok so I bought a 2005 C6 and it ran perfectly fine. Now the passenger head has a very hard tick/squeaking noise to it. I brought to a Chevrolet Dealer here in Ohio and they took the head off and the #8 intake valve is very loose in the guide. Thank GOD its under warranty but I was wondering if anyone has had this problem with the LS2 and any speculations on what could have caused this? Also from the factory the lifters in the passenger side were put in backwards I guess? and there are wear marks/gashes on the cam. The dealer is replacing all the lifters, cam, and head b/c of this...I'm taking advantage of this and throwing in an aftermarket cam, pushrods, valve springs and Ti ratainers while they are in there. Does anybody know what could of caused this mishap?

Anthony
What do you mean backwards? The lifters have roller tips and sit in a lifter tray and can only be installed one way. Curious to see pics of the damaged cam. Was the damage isolated to the lobes for cylinder 8 or was it more? The LS2 head is actually a LS6 head that has been used in different versions since 2001. It has been a very good head over the years, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been problems.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
What do you mean backwards? The lifters have roller tips and sit in a lifter tray and can only be installed one way. Curious to see pics of the damaged cam. Was the damage isolated to the lobes for cylinder 8 or was it more? The LS2 head is actually a LS6 head that has been used in different versions since 2001. It has been a very good head over the years, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been problems.

The lifters in the tray on cylinder #8 were installed by the GM machine backwards so the oil ports were facing the wrong way. That prevented oil from getting to them easier therefore not pumping up the lifters. The cam had marks on it in cyl #8 aswell as other cylinders. I will post up pics if when I get the parts back from GM. All is good, I picked up a set of IPS Motorsports Stage 2 Heads ported by Livernois (sp) and a big nasty cam so she should run right now!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible that an factory engine assembler made a mistake, or did someone that owned this car before you install a cam, and change it back before it was sold.

Quick Reply: 2005 C6 LS2 Head Problems....