Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Torque specs on Main Bearing bolts , Stock Vs ARP

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Torque specs on Main Bearing bolts , Stock Vs ARP

WHat are the torque specs on the Stock main bolts Inner bolts and outer bolts and then the side bolts ?

Can i plastic gague the Main caps to check to see with the stock bolts Vs the ARP bolts to see how much more clearance there is with the stock bolts VS ARP ?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question I gagued the Main journal when main bolts are tight

i used plastic gague on the main bearing to journal and tightened the stock main bolts up and when i pulled it all apart i got .0015 clearance measured by the plastic gague , when i tightened up the ARP bolts and plastic gagued it , it came up .0015 both the same , idk why i wouldnt be able to use the arp main bolts , it seems to be tightening down the same way .. plus i have Clevite main bearings , so idk .. everything seems ok , so idk about line honing the block .. so someone help out here soon otherwise im going to tighten these ARPs down cause they seem like not a problem .
Old 03-21-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do not have it align honed make sure the crank turns freely with the caps torqued in place. Put some engine oil on the bearings and install the crank and torque caps in place and crank should turn over without much effort...that does not mean you do not need an align hone but probably you will be fine if crank turns easily. I would also mic the main caps and crank main journals...plastigage is not a very good method.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I torque ARP Main studs to 60 lbs with moly lube, and the side ones to 18 lbs with oil. That is what works for me from experience of 5 LS motor builds. Oil or moly makes a world of difference in the torque result.
If you are seeing the same bearing clearances with both sets of fasteners, it means that they are both doing their job, and you installed them correct. Of course, ARP studs are re-usable, and way stronger. With the studs, make sure your oil pickup is set to the right height becuse the ARP nuts are thicker than GM.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question oil pick up tube

how can i tell if it is at the right height ? and if i do need to use spacers or somthing ? i cant space the oil pick up tube aginst the oil pump as it is supposed to be sealed with the o ring s

Quick Reply: Torque specs on Main Bearing bolts , Stock Vs ARP