Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LV3 EcoTec3 Weight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LV3 EcoTec3 Weight?

Does anybody know what a LV3 EcoTec3 weighs? I'm guessing around 360lb, but I'd like to know the actual weight.

The LV3 is an interesting option for transverse mount because it's all aluminum, has a push-rod valve-train and has two less cylinders than an LS4 so it's really light, but still makes about the same power and torque as an LS4. A super light engine that still had a lot of power and low RPM torque would make for a great handling street car.

If the LV3 is anything like my N54 (also direct injected), tuning can add boat loads of power....largely by adjusting fuel and spark timing/duration. It makes more power on E85 than gasoline, but I'd assume it would have even more potential on methanol (who knows what you are actually getting when you buy E85 anyway).

Other engines often used in transverse swaps include the LS engines which weigh around 480lb, the old Chevy SB which tips the scales at around 580lb, the N* which is around 470lb, the SC 3800 which is around 450lb and the high-feature is around 380lb (very top heavy though). All these engines have potential to make enough power to max out an F40 transaxle (rated at 295 ft*lb) and it's cv-shafts.

Swapping an LV3 probably won't be feasible right now, but in a few years it will be. It's a base engine on trucks, so once they are available in salvage yards, I can't imagine they are going to bring a premium. The transmission bolt pattern on an LV3 is an GM RWD which doesn't bolt to a GM Metric, but adapter plates have been available from multiple sources for years. It will be a while before there is enough knowledge and support to integrate the ECM in a swap. All EcoTec3 are supposed to use the same ECM, so hopefully HP Tuners would have support for this engine.

This isn't actually the first push-rod all aluminum V6 available. GM and TAPerformance have offered all aluminum performance V6 engines for racing application, but they are super expensive....and not DI.
http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/V6_Parts.pdf
http://www.taperformance.com/products.asp?cat=452

Last edited by tb30570; 02-24-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

I'd really like to have one in my buggy. I hope HPT will offer support for it.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Any developments on this engine as a swap candidate?
Old 09-18-2015, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Do a search for "Gen V Project" in the swap forum I started . I have one you can see my progress so far. I am in a holding pattern for now while I am building my new house.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Default Gen V Swap

Thanks for the reply

Quick Reply: LV3 EcoTec3 Weight?