Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Newbie with an Oldie

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie with an Oldie

I'm still kinda of a forum virgin so go easy on me...

I picked up my '64 Chevy II 400 series wagon in the fall of 2007 from a guy who brought it up from southern California. After a year or so of Ebay and internet orders, I finally started dis-assembly for what was going to be a budget build.

Yeah right... It's now a full on nut and bolt resto-mod.

This is my first complete build, and to date everything has been done in a 2 car garage with the exception of a booth for the clear coat. Body and paint is now complete and it's slowly going back together. I've put in a CPP front suspension, power disc's on all four corners, and beefy sway bars front and rear. I've got 3.5" of drop on the front and will put a 1" or 2" drop in the rear once I get all the weight back in it. I had planned on a old school 350/350 combo but last month I started checking out LS based motors and have changed my mind. I shouldn't be changing my motor choices so late in the build, but I'm up for a challenge.

After a lot of Kijiji watching, I picked up a 2006 4.8 out of a rolled 1/2 ton complete top to bottom still mated to a 4L60E. Truck had 30K miles on it and I managed to weasel it away for $700 feeling like I pretty much stole it. Iron block, aluminum heads and from what I've read it's rated around 300hp (correct me???). So much for the traditional 350/350 combo.

Motor mount adapters and a LS2 GTO oil pan and related bits are now needed to squeeze it in the stock front sheetmetal. I've seen a couple done this way and the fit is tight, but it does fit.

Here's some pictures of before, during and current. Looking forward to gaining all kinds of knowledge from this forum as this is my first time working with an LS based motor.

Thanks, Brian.

Last edited by 1964wagon400; 11-01-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

wow! great job so far
Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Turns out GM won't sell GTO parts to us Canucks, eh. Lousy bastards... Anyone got a line on a LS2 front sump GTO pan and related bits?? Or even where a guy can pick one up? I don't have enough posts to warrant a classified ad yet.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!