Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to LS1's, and already addicted

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS1's, and already addicted

Hello, long time lurker here figuring I'd go ahead, sign up and do an intro. I usually find what I need using search, so I basically haven't needed to ask anything. I bought my first Gen III two months ago, and now my garage has 2 5.3's, one 5.3 bored to 5.7 with LS1 pistons, and a 6.0 LQ4, so needless to say, I'm officially addicted.

I'm active duty Air Force (E-6), been wrenching my whole life hillbilly style, and finally cross-trained to Vehicle Maintenance this last year. Stationed at Barksdale AFB in Shreveport, LA, and from Montana. Headed to Afghanistan in a couple of weeks.

Projeccts;
1. Recently I picked up a 99 Trans am with no motor, no transmission, complete BMR rear suspension, and an LS1tech sticker on the back window (member's old car?). I want to use the spare 6.0 in my garage as a stroker when I return, but I may have a little bit of Blue Oval evil-ness up my sleeve (I'll have to think about it). I've got a 393 Stroker, T5 and all wiring combo with no home sitting in storage .

2. Got this 2002 Camaro Z28 w/salvage title as a T56 donor car for the T/A with a bad #7 cyl. Turned out to be a 5.3L once I dug deeper anyway, see pics below of the nice lump that was once a piston. Interior is perfect, and panel alignment is decent, so too good to part out. Now it's getting a 6.0L LQ4, LT's, TSP mail order tune, TSP 224R, Comp 918's. Kindof in a rush as I'm headed for Afghanistan in two weeks and only started a week or two ago. My wife needs a backup in case her car blows up, and I couldn't just throw a stocker in there.

3. Next, the inspiration for the username, my 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. It's 2.3 turbo 4 cyl right now. I've got a wrecked 2002 Mustang GT parts car to convert my T-bird to a 4.6 V8 wiring and all, headlights to tail lights when I return from deployment. It is a "Turbo-Coupe" after all, so that will definitely not be forgotten in the process. Oddly enough, I don't have any pics even though its my daily driver while my Powerstroke is down.

4. Finally, I've got a 72 Chevelle Malibu, 350/350 car (for sale), and a 66 Chevy Pickup project that I will be restoring eventually.

Anyway, sorry for the long-windedness, and thanks for all the good technical info from all the members of the site, I'll try to quit lurking and provide some input when I know the answer to somebody's questions.

Last edited by 4.6TurboCoupe; 12-13-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:15 AM
11 Second Club

Welcome nice rides!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome my wife is in air force and works at barksdale too. i know a lot about these cars and have done many installs. let me know if u need any help. i live like 2 miles from north gate.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I live in Haughton off hwy 80. Sic, I talked to you for a few minutes at the Fall car show on base, I was still trying to figure out if I was going to buy an LS1, or stick with Iron on the Z28. I was asking you how you liked your TSP cam. That's who I ended up going with.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thought so. i saw white car had salvaged title and 5.3 and thought it was u
Old 12-14-2010, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Hell yeah. We need more ls guys around here. I live in haughton right down the road from hwy 80. I think everyone in haughton lives right down the road from hwy 80 though lol. Right down Bellvue rd if you know where thats at