Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello!

Hi folks. My name is Rob, and I'm 18 years old. Recently I was in a minor accident, but the insurance company deemed my Buick LeSabre a total loss. I opted to keep the car since it's still driveable, and I'm receiving a decent sum of money from insurance.

With that being said, I have around 8000 to spend on a 4th gen Camaro Z28, preferably '98 or newer. I've been saving for quite some time, but unfortunately there aren't very many in my area. I've been lurking the forums here at LS1tech for quite some time, trying to learn as much as possible about these cars.

I'm not clueless when it comes to what to look for, I actually take the GM ASEP program at a community college and know enough to do small repairs.

What should I be looking for? I would prefer a bone stock Z28 but I know they aren't easy to find.

http://goclassicauto.com/

This ^ dealer has a what appears to be a nice looking Z28 for around 9000 dollars (low miles too). Hopefully they can negotiate. I have a few questions regarding it though.

-This particular Camaro has been for sale for nearly a year at this dealer. Is that a red flag since nobody has picked it up yet?
-Do the side marker lights look to be aftermarket (shouldn't they be yellow?)
-The rear badge seems to be missing the red Chevy logo (or did they make some without the logo?)
-That appears to be an aftermarket exhaust?

I know I have to check the car out, but does it look like this one is worth looking into?

Thanks again, - Rob

Last edited by RobC1993; 01-11-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rims do not look to be OEM, and the rear spoiler looks to be raised up a bit, but overall it looks like a good car. The exhaust is harder to tell since the Camaro's have the OEM pipes like that, so it could be a nicely kept OEM system. I bought my '00 Trans Am M6 with almost exactly the same miles, earlier this year, and it's been worth every penny, so this looks like a decent deal. With it being winter, and the fact that the car's been on the lot for a long time you should be able to get the price down a bit (I bought mine for $6500, the seller surprisingly didn't know the value), more towards $8500. If the dealer doesn't budge on the price and you aren't happy just keep looking, you'll find one eventually. Check craigslist, Autotrader, cars.com, etc and search within a good radius, you're bound to find one. '01 and '02 LS1's benefited from a few smaller LS6 bits and pieces, and are a little more powerful, aka more fun. If this is close to where you live, there's no harm in going to look at it and test driving it, if you like it, pursue that car or find another, you won't be disappointed with an LS1 Camaro. Good luck with the search!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

the turn signal housings are aftermarket, thats an aftermarket exhaust, obviously you can see it has a lid, wheels are aftermarket, the spoiler could be from GM although it didn't come from canada like that, the factory "grill" is gone, and its an auto, which i personally wouldn't get unless i was strictly planning on dragracing it and nothing else. without knowing your local f-body market, its yard to say if a camaro with a year of lot time is a red flag or not. do you work at a dealership yet? if so, run a VIS on it at work, and try to get a used car guy to run the VIN to lok for any flags. if not, maybe another kid further ahead in the program thats already working at a dealership can do it for you. my advice would be you dont want a stone stock older low mile car if you plan on doing ANY kind of racing with it, cause if it was broke in soft, it wont last long. i made that mistake once.