Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Heidi-Ho There Neighbors

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heidi-Ho There Neighbors

Just joined in hopes of getting some help on hopefully THE most ghetto 78 Malibu on the planet.

So ugly an E-Thug couldn't love it.

But the plans are simple. Budget. Low budget. I want to see if I can built a 10 second (low) for $6,000. Including the grand I paid for the rust bucket.

So here is the back story, all summed up in a thousand words or less. Fell for a Save-A-Bro car on a G Body forum who was getting kicked out of his trailer. I have a 9 second 81 Big Block Bu so I loaded up the trailer and headed North for a few hours. Just a buckets/console 305 powered turd that looked way better in pictures than real life, but I took it anyway. And around another grand in G Body parts.

So the car sits for a year while I play with a few other cars until I get an odd call at my shop. A guy has an 03 3500 Express van that I have serviced from day 1. He broke the key off in the ignition and he just wants to bail on it. $1000 later and I have a 6.0, a 4L80E, and a corporate 14 bolt 3.73 Posi.

So I part it, sell the shell title and all for $700. I sell the trans for $1600 installed. Leaves me with a full dress 6.0, and everything that touches it down to the fusebox and hydroboost.

Last year I was building an Eddy carbed 5.3 64 Impala but bailed on it when no one made LS headers for it at the time so I pulled the engine and sold the body. In my display case in my office was the LS intake and ignition box. And a set of V8 conversion mounts.

In goes the 6.0 as does an A Body 12 bolt with a good set of Mosers, rebuilt Eaton, and a set of 4.10s. The upper control arms that let the A for the G were $140 off eBay. To bless the build I bought a set of Welds off a buds 8 second TT LS Camaro for $400. The rears are 325 DRs and stick out like a 1970s mustache, but hey, we are the 70's, right?

The biggest reason I joined was to use the incredible resource of LS1Tech.com, the classifieds. To make budget I need a cam, lifters, springs, and a timing chain for around $600. I realize valvesprings are like condoms, nothing you want to buy used. But I noticed alot of people go many directions in builds and alot of stuff gets bought, then second thoughted, and upgraded before being used.

The ultimate goal is to get this lightened for racing by rust 78 running deep 10's with as much nitrous as it takes to do so. I have my own filling station. Once I get the headers and bracketry sorted it will be time to man up on a transmission and convertor to make it all happen. I build my own and have at least a half dozen convertors laying around so that will be a very small pice of the pie.

Lots of work ahead. Wish me luck on the budget. I have an entire shop of used parts but some of this stuff will cost. And any broken parts do not go against the budget after the first pass.

Andy
Old 02-14-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Wilson????

Arghhhh?!@#$%

Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome.