Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Castle Rock, CO Sounding Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castle Rock, CO Sounding Off

I am new to the forum. I am currently hunting for a weekend cruiser/project car. Something that is currently driveable for the time being, but that I can perform various projects on over the next several winters to "hop-it-up." Ideally the starter car will be in the $2000-$3000 neighborhood, and then I can work on things like rearend, suspension, powerplant, body and paint, and interior (in no particular order, though I know that paint and interior will be the final steps) as time and budget allow.

A few of the candidate vehicles I am considering had V6 or I6 options originally (Early 70's Novas, Venturas, etc...). Others came with a small block V8 (Skylark, Cutlass, etc...). I am looking for a late 60's/early 70's coupe that is or can become a "muscle car." In my research for potential replacement of a V6/I6/tired or dead small block V8 I came upon this site and am now considering a 5.3 or 6.0 Vortec/LS swap as an option.

I am still searching for the right starter vehicle. If I do find one that requires a new powerplant, this just might be the route I take.

Any recommendations on what might be the most painless route to take for an LS/Vortec swap is certainly welcomed (keeping in mind that I am sticking with something that is 1965-1975 and must have a back seat that my munchkin's babyseat can fit in).

I will now resume trolling of the forums and reading as much as I can.

Last edited by Horri; 06-02-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome! I'd love to see you pick up a '70-'72 Skylark for your project car (although the collector market has put a premium on the Buicks). My first car was a sunburst yellow '72 Skylark with a black vinyl top base trim 350 w/2 barrel carb. It was a lot of fun once I started modding it. LS swaps weren't around back then though lol.

Quick Reply: Castle Rock, CO Sounding Off