Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Learning about building a performance Gen3!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Learning about building a performance Gen3!

Quick intro, I'm Samantha; I have only recently found myself interested in the auto world; but I am hooked!

I have a friend that is decent with cars and talked me into desiring my own 'hotrod', to use the term loosely.
Really I want a car that demands respect under the hood; that's more important to me (right now; still learning what I like) than what the exterior looks like.

I think I actually prefer keeping cars somewhat stock in looks; especially classics, but I love the idea of taking something light and putting a powerhouse v8 in and turning it into Frankenstein's monster on steroids.

It's from this desire I started becoming aware of the LS1.

I will say; a year ago, I knew NOTHING about cars; I was proud when I learned how to change my own oil (lol)
BUT I have become very passionate about EVERY auto it seems, and I'm learning really rapidly.

I would LIKE to take an auto class at a nearby community college once time permits, but for now I just absorb everything howstuffworks has to offer, and I bought two specific LS1 books:

How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s by Will Handzel
and
How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines (Motorbooks Workshop)

Only the first has come in the mail, and I have to admit; it's a little over my head. I was google searching terms etc and I found there forums and knew I had to join as I started this project.

SO as far as vehicles go; I have two very old Nissan cars, an '93 s13 and a '81 Datsun 280zx... I got them for STEALS so I have them. Lol.

They are both pretty light; curb weight of ~2700 and ~3000 respectively; so I have considered both for my project, leaning towards the Datsun for these reasons:

HUGE engine bay compared to the 240,
'classic' status would make it easier to get it inspected... the 240 I would have to inspect 'under the table' for a few more years if it had a V8.

Plus the Datsun is a touch sexier.

I would love to become an active member as I take on this project, I know it seems like I'm diving in head first, because that IS what I'm doing... so I can use all the help I can get!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have a question; is there anywhere in these forums for someone to do a journal for their car progress? I'd love to do a periodic write-up as I make progress towards a complete LS1.

Quick Reply: Learning about building a performance Gen3!