Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Biting the bullet 1971 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Biting the bullet 1971 cutlass

Figure I should say hi. I've been lurking for quite some time now, building a list of where all my money is going to go for the next year or so. My first car in 1995 was a crusty 1971 Cutlass that I bought for $600 and then proceeded to fix the body in true amateur style, restored the interiior, and drove the wheels off of it. That car was the first hit of a lifelong addiction. The car gave me the opportunity out of necessity to learn to do steering, suspension, brakes, carb tuning, and all sorts of maintenance work.

Flash forward a bit over a decade and I had my daughter in October of 2010. I decided after years of riding motorcycles that a 2 wheel hobby wasn't in the cards now that I was a dad. Sold off my Triumph Speedmaster and used the cash to buy a clean 71 Cutlass.

The car was an Arizona car with only one respray and has never had any rust, not a show car but it's a respectable looking driver anyway. It is a stock 350/350 column shift car with 2.56 open 8.5 10 bolt. I swapped in an Extreme automatics 2004R transmission, UMI performance upper and lower rear control arms, UMI front and rear sway bars, rebuilt the front suspension and steering and put in a set of 3.73's and a Yukon duragrip limited slip. Drove the car for a while that way and now i'm ready for the next adventure.

That next adventure comes by the way of an LQ4 with a mild cam and a 4l60e from extreme with a custom 9.5 inch 24-2600 stall lockup converter. So far, i'm gathering a list of needed parts and the 350 is coming out in the next couple weeks. Here's a link to a couple photos of the car.

http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/ac...907b4.jpg.html

Quick Reply: Biting the bullet 1971 cutlass