Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Noob looking into LS cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob looking into LS cars

Hey guys, I haven't gotten my LS motor yet, but I'm looking into three different members of the family.

My dream car for a while has been a CTS-V, so I'm looking for a V1 but they're incredibly hard to find with less than 100k on them so I'm not sure how to feel about it. I've never bought a car - well, one that's THIS expensive - with 100k on the clock, any advice helps while I search through the forums.

If I can't get one that I like, I'll take the G8 GT. 4 doors and the LS V8 really appeals to me.

If neither of those can be found with respectable mileage and price, I'll take a GTO. I realize the GTO is WAY different than the V, but I want to get into the V8 realm.

Currently own a 5th gen Camaro, I wish I would have just sprung for the SS when I bought it, but I couldn't afford to, and there's some things I just don't like about it.

I had heard from some people that if I find a car that's a little far away, I could find a respectable forum member in the area and pay them to take a look at it/drive it to a dealer to have it looked at, I hope you guys are that friendly around here!

Regardless, looking forward to this journey and all your guys' support along the way.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-31-2014, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The G8 GT doesn't have an LS engine. It has the L76 engine. The GXP however, has the LS3. If you want a CTS-V, then wait to get one. I know the temptation that makes you not want to wait but you have to fight trough that. It looks like you already made the mistake of buying a V6 Camaro... Also LS engines are still strong well past 100k miles if you cannot find one any lower than that. You will be happy for a long time if you wait for what you want in the first place. And yes I have found people to be VERY friendly and helpful here. If you are not so sure about how to do an install there are guys who will drive out of their way to help you out for nothing more than free beer. Welcome and happy hunting for your CTS-V!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the advice and the correction, I always thought the G8 had an LS series motor.

I like what you said about waiting, I've settled too often on cars. It's time I do this one for myself.

Cheers!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a V1 with just under 100k .. I just broke the 100k mark .. Don't let the miles scare you too much. I bought mine from an older guy BONE stock and it runs hard. No smoke ect. I have big plans for it aswell. As my old LS1 fbody put down good power with high mileage, I know this LS2 will not let me down.

Just make sure its not beat up or modded.

regardless I hope you find what you like!

welcome!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:00 AM

I think my biggest hurdle is convincing my wife that 100k on an LS series motor isn't the same as 100k on something with less pedigree.

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyemike
I think my biggest hurdle is convincing my wife that 100k on an LS series motor isn't the same as 100k on something with less pedigree.

Thanks a lot!
My WS.6 is just about to hit the 100k mile mark in a couple of weeks. That being said, I get a visit from the "low trac" light shifting into second, and get to hear a nice chirp shifting into third. Bolt-on only car as far as the engine. Just two weeks ago I took two of my cousins for a ride and scared the one in the back seat lol. 100k miles is really no big deal for an LS motor.

And yes you want to wait for what you really want. I looked at so many different cars before I bought mine. But now every time I look at it I get the satisfaction of knowing that I got EXACTLY what I wanted for a long time. You really can't put a price on that feeling.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:57 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fourth-Gen Man
The G8 GT doesn't have an LS engine. It has the L76 engine. The GXP however, has the LS3.
Originally Posted by buckeyemike
Thanks for the advice and the correction, I always thought the G8 had an LS series motor.
The L76 is a LS engine. One could make it analogous to a LS2 with DOD/AFM (it is a Gen IV). It's just the passenger car version of the same in the '07-'09 full size trucks/suvs.

Anyway, do you need to have only one vehicle? You could do what I did -- I bought a 4th gen with "lower" miles and kept my TrailBlazer for a DD. This was after I had a LS2 GTO as my only vehicle and realized I wanted back in a fbody.

With that said, if I had to have only one vehicle, I'd go with a V1. I'd also go with a TBSS if I could ever get over the fact that it's an auto (which is why I personally wouldn't go for a G8 GT; GXP is too much money still).

Quick Reply: Noob looking into LS cars