Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New from socal

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile New from socal

New member from SoCal. I've been lurking for a while and using all the wonderful info available on this forum.
I have a '02 Camaro Z28 (T-top, stick shift). I used to own a S13 240SX Hatchback that I was planning on doing an LS1 swap into. I got rear ended by a teenager really hard on the freeway in stop in go traffic that totaled my 240, so I used the insurance money to pay a portion of getting myself a '02 Camaro Z28 T-top. In the end it worked out better as I am loving the Camaro.

The car has a Flowmaster Exhaust. It sounds like it has a cam, but I don't know for sure if there is a non-stock cam inside. I will have to go find a meetup and see what the stock z28 sounds like as I'm just going by the sound of the idle.

So far I've just been going through the car and fixing things on it to use as a reliable, but fun daily driver. Most of the stuff I did I found the info for on this forum, so thanks everyone
  • I ended up having to build a smoke machine to use for finding an exhaust leak. It's crazy how expensive those things are if you actually buy a retail one. The leak was from one of the gaskets between a header and the catalytic converter. I'll Be using the smoke machine soon to check for any vacuum leaks, I just haven't had a chance yet.
  • Replaced the PCV hose and PCV valve as the old hose had completely rotted and was leaking like crazy. It was actually even broken behind the engine, but you cant see much back there so I didn't even know until I pulled it out.
  • Removed the Power Steering Heat Interchanger or "Cooler" and replaced it with a frame rail cooler, plus flushed power steering fluid. My PS cooler had failed and apparently this is a common issue so I went the frame rail mounted cooler to prevent another contamination of the coolant from the PS cooler.
  • Radiator Flush/Refill due to the mess the power steering cooler made when it failed and got foamy crap/contamination throughout the radiator/coolant system.
  • Racetronix Fuel Pump Replacement and wire harness upgrade. Also cleaned the fuel tank. The tank was actually more or less clean....yay for plastic fuel tank. The old fuel pump started failing to hold pressure, I'm assuming it was a bad check valve or similar issue but I didn't bother diagnosing further.
    I actually dropped the fuel tank instead of cutting an access hatch, so cleaning out the fuel tank was simple once I got it out. Was definitely a PITA though as the catback exhaust was welded at all the seams so it was not possible to get off the car all the way. I just unbolted it and maneuvered it as far out of the way as I could. What a pain though with it in the way haha.
  • Brakemotive Rotors and Power Stop Ceramic pads.
  • Rebuild front calipers, plus clean or replace the hardware on all calipers and then re-lube pins etc.
  • Oil change to Castrol Sytec 0w-30, and topped off the rear differential with whatever gear oil was supposed to be used for the Torsen diff (I don't recall off the top of my head).
  • Higher output 145A Alternator pulled from an Escalade with the KG3 option code and a new battery.
  • Inexpensive Bluetooth/HD radio head unit that works with Siri for the iPhone, and a steering wheel control adapter so the wheel controls work with aftermarket head units.

Next up on my list is to clean up my headlights since they are all hazy and do a projector + HID retrofit. I already ordered the parts, just waiting for them to arrive.
I also noticed a slight squeal noise tonight that changes with the RPMs of the engine. Sounds like it might just be belt squeal. Hopefully its not a lifter going bad, but I'll be hunting down the source of the noise in the next few days.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like you have some of the normal things that fail taken care of already..
Old 12-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome
Old 12-20-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the LsFamily, it looks like you have done a lot of work to bring the car up to its former glory. Where in socal are you located?

Quick Reply: New from socal