Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello!

Hey guys! My name is Travis. I have 4 years of auto mechanic schooling, sort of. I've never actually been to an auto mechanic school. But I took 2 years of it in high school with a professor who had been ASE certified master tech for years. He was also a military tech and has worked in various shops/performance shops. I also took 2 years of auto related classes in college. I took some welding classes, ag mechanics classes, engine repair classes, and also was a TA for the engine repair class. In this class, I learned a lot about rebuilding engines. I started with small engines like pressure washers, lawn mowers, generators, etc. While in the class, I rebuilt a chevy 350 and a chevy 230. While helping teach the class, I fully built a chevy 454 big block (cams, valves/springs, roller rockers/lifters, forged pistons/rods, forged crank balanced to 8k, dual holly carb's, and all edelbrock accessories) and assisted students building a chevy 230, a ford 302, a chevy 350, and several diesel tractor engines.

As far as my own experience goes with my own vehicles, I've done a little bit of everything. I've done suspensions (Things like coilovers, sway bars, springs/struts, etc.), engine swaps, forced induction, audio, electrical, body work, etc. I have access to all the tools I need for cleaning, welding, boring (except the cylinders, but I have a machine shop for that), installing pistons rings/wrist pins, cam bearings, etc.

Right now, the majority of my auto related knowledge is mostly mechanical and not technical. If someone hands me an engine, and all the parts, i know how to properly and safely put them all together. But I don't have the technical knowledge to pick out the proper parts for the engines application.

Right now, I'm planning an LS engine build, but I'm not sure which one to pick that fits my application. I notice that most of the subforums here are vehicle/engine specific. If someone could point me in the right direction as to which section to post in looking for help on deciding which engine to pick, and the parts I need for my goals, I would greatly appreciate it. As I said, I have all the mechanical knowledge to put the parts together, but I need helping picking the parts themselves out.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

Quick Reply: Hello!