Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

yo yo yo! 95 miata here, i may be on the wrong forum...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yo yo yo! 95 miata here, i may be on the wrong forum...

I'm going to start off with this fella ^^^

I am new to the forum, I am a college student at Cleveland State University for Mechanical Engineering and I am a Machinist/ Welder/ Fabricator at MAGNET innovation center for my day job.

I am in the process of building a 1999 LS1 motor that I picked up for $200 out of a crashed Camaro and I'm going to be putting it into a Miata.

how do I make this photo smaller?

I used to have a turbo BP motor that I built back in high school and that motor put down 423 rwhp at 6800 rpm.

Unfortunately that motor ended up melting all of its pistons due to the MAP sensor failing and causing an extreme lean condition "silly me didn't have copper tip plugs in the motor "

So now am trying to build an LS1 block to make around the same power as the turbo motor, "or more because that's always better right?"

So far i have the following parts.

Diamond flat top pistons with valve reliefs for a 3.905" bore

243 cylinder heads that will be getting better valve springs and hopefully shaft mounted rocker arms assuming i can find a set for not a million dollars

typhoon 96mm intake "I have to bore out the inlet because I bought a 102mm throttle body off ebay "

Molnar LS1 6.125" lightweight rods

new stock oil pump that my old boss is going to port for me "I used to work at Weber Power Products GNX guys would know what that is"

Rollmaster timing gears with iwis chain

350 LPH fuel pump "had that in there from the previous turbo set up

AEM fuel pressure regulator 1:1 of course "not sure if i need this for the LS1 or not but I still have it from the turbo set up."

Mishimoto radiator for the Miata, its a thick and big one "that's what she said"

Innovative LC2 wide band O2 sensor and gauge

Drive shaft shop 600 hp Axles for for 8.8 28 spline diff and Miata outer hubs

Ford 8.8 IRS out of a 2003 ford explorer "but i need to put the LSD out of a thunder bird in it because the axles would have been and extra $1000 to get the 31 spline inner cv." not sure what kind of bull **** that is because i know how they are machined and the process and materials used are identical for the 28 spline ones vs the 31 so in that matter I say FU DRIVE SHAFT SHOPP!!!

NOW FOR THE Parts I need to Purchase still !!!

CTV race team Lifters for high rpm

Valve Springs "ones that match the cam"

CAM "preferably something that can make power to 7000 rpm"

Either a Trunion Kit from Harland sharp or shaft mounted rockers

Push rods "probably hardened"

all the sensors and then a plug and play ECU and Harness from DIYAUTOTUNE.

gaskets and bearings

starter

Flywheel

clutch with a disk that has splines for a ford t-5 trans "I'm using a quick time bell housing to mate the T-5 to the LS1 because the T-56 is ungodly expensive and i have to modify the trans tunnel to fit it."

and I'm sure I am forgetting things but so far that's where I'm at

Please feel free to give me any info on a cam that can make some good power and rev pretty high "I come from high revving 4cylinder turbo things and I chose gearing that would favor turning the ls1 up to 7000 rpm"

thanks guys,

Don
Old 09-28-2016, 09:12 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Why the forged internals for an N/A build?
Unless you're trying to hit 12:1+ compression, there is zero reason to change stock internals unless there has been a failure somewhere.

There doesn't need to be a ton of stuff replaced to make 420whp in an LS1. Forged internals and shaft mounted rockers? Focus your budget elsewhere.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Why the forged internals for an N/A build?
Unless you're trying to hit 12:1+ compression, there is zero reason to change stock internals unless there has been a failure somewhere.

There doesn't need to be a ton of stuff replaced to make 420whp in an LS1. Forged internals and shaft mounted rockers? Focus your budget elsewhere.
The reason for going with the forged internals is mostly because I did not get the rods and pistons with the motor so I just decided to go that route.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Save some money on those rockers. Get a stock set of rockers and install a set of straub trunions in them. As for a cam, hit up one of our great sponsors for a custom cam tailored to your specific need

Quick Reply: yo yo yo! 95 miata here, i may be on the wrong forum...