Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Building a Fraken-stang-drift car

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Fraken-stang-drift car

Hey Guys and Girls!!!

I'm Corey From Indiana. This weekend I'm picking up a 98 Mustang V6 with a manual for $500. I'm going to be on a budget, but heres what I'd like to accomplish:

LR4 or LQ9 (L33 would be great but probably more $$$)
Borg-Warner T10 for the trans (unless ya'll know of a better/cheaper/stronger option)
Maybe swap in a 99-up Cobra IRS
Completely gut inside only leaving Dash, my racing seat, and the stock Passanger seat for my wife.
Ive been seeing a lot of these "Ebay turbo kits" videos going around the last little bit, found a nice one for $1150.

Power goals would be maybe 400-450hp if I stay n/a, maybe 500-600hp if I go turbo. Not sure which direction.

Luckily where I live in Indiana there are no safety inspections or emissions test so that's a huge plus.

This will primarily be just a fun/weekend car that will see a few drift events a year, but mostly just fun/toy driving.

My brother just got a 2011 C6 Z06 hes throwing some work into and said he'd sell me whatever take-off parts I want real cheap. Would that LS7 cam work with a LR4-LQ9? Will I need to find LS1 heads?

Thank you guys so much. I look forward to learning and sharing this journey with you
Old 02-16-2017, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

frankenstangdrifter,

Welcome to the LS world my friend, great name btw as well haha!

If you're looking at getting into an LQ4 or an LQ9 and intend to turbo it you already have an awesome platform to do so. They'll come with 317 heads which is a great factory casting for boosted applications. LQ4s come with a dished piston which is also ideal for boost. As for the cam, a custom boost cam through really anyone is right at $400 and will leave you a lot happier at the end of the day. We're at $389.99 currently. You have about 1 million options for this build, and about 1 million more threads on this site for this build verbatim. If you have questions, fire away! Once again welcome to the site and enjoy!!

-Russ
Old 04-16-2017, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankenstein
frankenstangdrifter,

Welcome to the LS world my friend, great name btw as well haha!

If you're looking at getting into an LQ4 or an LQ9 and intend to turbo it you already have an awesome platform to do so. They'll come with 317 heads which is a great factory casting for boosted applications. LQ4s come with a dished piston which is also ideal for boost. As for the cam, a custom boost cam through really anyone is right at $400 and will leave you a lot happier at the end of the day. We're at $389.99 currently. You have about 1 million options for this build, and about 1 million more threads on this site for this build verbatim. If you have questions, fire away! Once again welcome to the site and enjoy!!

-Russ
Thanks For the Welcome and encouraging words! I do have a few questions.
1. What is the best and most cost effective option for a manual trans? T56 unfortunately is out of the question. Ive heard the Borg-Warner T10 is a good option, but ive also heard the WC T5 is a good option. NV3500 is another one. What would you recommend?
2. Should I stick with my stock k-member or would you recommend upgrading to a tubular?

Quick Reply: Building a Fraken-stang-drift car