Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Anyone got any buying tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got any buying tips?

Hey guys I'm new to the LS1tech community, and was just wondering if you had any tips on buying as far as what to look for and whatnot.

As of right now there are a few LS1 WS6 Trans Ams with M6's in the area (and by in the area I mean 750 miles out or less...going out to get it is not gonna bother me) that I'm considering. What I'm looking for is little to no modification (that's my job...I don't want the chance of someone else screwing the car up), T-Tops (not a fan of convertibles), manual (I'm sick of the one 4L60E I have already), low mileage (under 65k), WS6 package, etc...I'm sure you know what I'm basically lookin for.

Question is: Is there anything specifically to look for in these cars? I've got my eye on 4 or 5 of em and I plan on thoroughly checking em out. I'm fairly familiar with GM's, especially their LS1's (been researching em for a while for my 97 k1500...an ongoing automotive PITA, er..um..."project") Anyways...just really looking for any kind of input on what prices I should be expecting for a good (note: NOT showroom immaculate, this will NOT be a trailer queen, but a street-killing pavement pounder) condition vehicle along the lines of what I'm lookin at. Thanks a lot guys, really looking forward to really becoming part of this community (already been lurking for months researching cams, LT's, exhaust, nitrous, and just setups in general...but I think I want Tiago's TT setup :-D)

Thanks again guys,
Darrel
Old 07-26-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

You seem to have a pretty good grasp on everything already, probably more so than many of the posters here. First off, you are SMART to travel to find the car you want. Limiting yourself to your immediate area is probably the biggest mistake that people make because they are 'settling' for cars instead of getting the ones they truly want. It just takes one weekend and a few hundred dollars in expenses to get the car you possibly could keep for years. In my opinion the second most important thing is the history of the car. If no maintenance records, then it is a major strike against it, especially if a young driver. Has the car been kept outside? in a garage? highway miles or constant city red light traffic? The questions are endless yet important. Looking for somewhat 'stock' cars wil help out in the 'abused' category and please don't use the KBB or other buying guides to definitively set your price. They are a guide and useful but not even close to real world F-body selling prices in many situations. The GOOD cars are retail unless you get lucky, and even though you don't want the excellent showroom cars, they are OVER retail despite what many pretenders and bashers claim on this site. There are always exceptions but generally a solid rule of thumb. Good luck with your search! I think you will do fine. I've owned two new F-bodies since 1996 and I believe you will love the car if you have done that much thinking about it already.

Last edited by NC01TA; 07-26-2008 at 08:41 AM. Reason: correction
Old 07-26-2008, 08:48 AM

Yeah, believe me, I'm not quick in my decisions. I've just been dying for a good muscle car, and now that I've re-enlisted, once my bonus comes in, I'll have about $25k to play with up front. I really don't think I'll have much of a problem and I am by NO MEANS using the KBB on any decent sports car....in fact I'm pretty much planning on spending about 5-8k over KBB on something that is all but immaculate (I can stand a couple scratches in the paint that can mostly be buffed out...but I am pretty particular on that too, really.

And honestly, my area isn't even limited to that 750 mi...if anyone knows of a good WS6 in their area with a manual, low mileage, etc..let me know..I have all of August off and can fly out to see the car...bout all I got for now.

NC01TA...thanks for the really quick response...glad to know I should be at least ok on what I'm lookin for
Old 07-26-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

my advice

buy whatever makes you happy and dont think twice if you have the money. If the car checks out ok that is.

when i looked i found SS's in the 15k range, and the one i bought ended up being 24k. but There wasnt a day that i regretted it, i couldnt have asked for a nicer car
Old 07-26-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Glad to assist. A really nice place that sells F-bodies that isn't too far away from you is www.morrisonmotorco.com near Charlotte (actually Concord right by the Lowe's Motor Speedway). They are a bit on the high side as they tend to sell better than average cars and they don't dicker much unless times have changed with the high gas prices. Look at their site on-line as they usually have about a dozen Camaros and Trans Ams at any given time. Maybe there is something that you like there. Again, good luck with your search and whenever you find your ride we'll be curious to see what you get.