Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring problem? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring problem? HELP

The other day i noticed my passenger side rear blinker is out, when i turn it on the light just gets bright and and doesnt flash...so i replaced the bulbs and that didnt fix the problem...checked fuses and they're fine...then noticed my passenger parking light is out also but if i turn the switch to the on position or turn my headlights on it works. Also if i turn my flashers on all the lights work...im stumped.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Are you sure the right front light flashes with the hazard flashers? Up until that last sentence, it was obvious that the right front bulb was burned out (or the socket is corroded). The front bulbs are dual filament - a dim filament for parking/running lights with the headlights on and a bright filament for the turn signals and daytime running lights. One filament can burn out while the other still works. Classic symptom - when a T/S bulb burns out, the rest of the bulbs on that side will go on but not flash. I suspect that your hazard flashers flash but that you didn't actually check that front right position to see if that bulb is flashing with the rest of them.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

You are correct, i just went and checked. with the light switch in the off position, the right parking light is out. If i turn it on however it lights up.. but still will not blink when hazrds or blinker is activated.. right tail is lit up but will only blink when hazards are on....the tail just gets brighter when only the blinker is on .... also inside the when i turn on the blinker, the green arrow just stays lit up...

I do have a warranty but wanted to see if it was something i could fix myself to avoid the hassle of taking it in to get fixed..
Old 10-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Fortunately, that is an easy fix. Replace the right front bulb and check the socket for corrosion. Put a little dieletric grease (available in little packets at your local parts store for under $1) in the socket before inserting the new bulb to help prevent future corrosion.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Ok thanks...so this will fix the tail light as well?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

There's nothing wrong with the tail light. It doesn't flash because the burned out front bulb is reducing the current flow on that side of the car to the point where the flasher doesn't break the connection to make the lights flash.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Ok i get it now. Thank you