Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Electrical Gurus INSIDE PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Gurus INSIDE PLEASE!

Trying to install an HID kit w/ low and high beams. Here is the thread on triumph forum...

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/show...d=1#post338807

If anyone here can answer my question in the thread and tell me if this item will work I would appreciate it!

would this work..
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...&tab=techSpecs

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You can use either a 20A or 30A relay. 30A relays are more common and can handle a greater load. It's like commuting to work - both a 160hp economy car and a 350hp muscle car will get you there...the muscle car just has more capabilities beyond what you actually need to get the job done.

You need the 5-pin version of the relay (SPDT - Single Pole Double Throw...commonly known as a Bosch automotive relay) because you have to use the normally closed (NC) pin 87A that doesn't exist on 4-pin relays (SPST - Single Pole Single Throw). So the Radio Shack relay won't work for that reason.

You should be able to get a 5-pin 30A Bosch-style relay from your local auto parts store - they are commonly used for aftermarket fog light kits. You can get it for half the price here.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You can use either a 20A or 30A relay. 30A relays are more common and can handle a greater load. It's like commuting to work - both a 160hp economy car and a 350hp muscle car will get you there...the muscle car just has more capabilities beyond what you actually need to get the job done.

You need the 5-pin version of the relay (SPDT - Single Pole Double Throw...commonly known as a Bosch automotive relay) because you have to use the normally closed (NC) pin 87A that doesn't exist on 4-pin relays (SPST - Single Pole Single Throw). So the Radio Shack relay won't work for that reason.

You should be able to get a 5-pin 30A Bosch-style relay from your local auto parts store - they are commonly used for aftermarket fog light kits. You can get it for half the price here.
Now would I use both power to 87 and 87A? How would I wire this up? I found both of them at Advance Auto local.

Or would i just send power to 87A and leave the 87 pole un connected? HUGE HELP BTW!!! Thanks!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The instructions in the post prior to your question had two different ways to connect the relay. Both ways used pin 87A and left pin 87 unconnected but one way had a power connection and the other way had a ground connection.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The instructions in the post prior to your question had two different ways to connect the relay. Both ways used pin 87A and left pin 87 unconnected but one way had a power connection and the other way had a ground connection.
Ah yes! Thank you for pointing that out.