Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Battery on drag/street car

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Battery on drag/street car

Its a drag strip/street car, so I need a good battery that can keep the voltage up. Basically the car has an electric water pump, BigStuff3 computer, methanol injection pump, a Magnafuel 4303 pump that draws ALOT of power, and other small stuff. All of these add ons are drawing alot of amps. Under regular cruising, the voltage is fine, at around 13volts. Under WOT, it slowly starts to drop down to 10.7 volts!
The car does have a 200 amp alternator, and the Big 3 upgrade to the wires. The current battery is a Optima red top that has been in there for about 3 years, and has been completely drained atleast 15 times, if not more. Do you guys think its just the battery that can't keep up?
I am thinking a Interstate MT-34 battery. My buddy has these in stock at his shop, and can give me a deal on one, and it comes with a 60 month warranty.
700 CCA
875 CA
120 RC3(Min.)
10-1/4 x 6-7/8 x 7-3/4
What do you guys think? It has more amps than the Optima, and I dont care if its a ugly looking battery because it will be hidden in the spare tire well.

What about something like the Interstate MTP-78DT
800 CCA
1000 CA
110 RC3(Min.)
10-5/16 x 6-7/8 x
7-13/16

The dimensions are prety similar, but it seems to be a much stronger battery.
Any opinions are greatly appreciated! thanks
Old 10-30-2008, 02:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any battery that is 3 years old and that had been drained that many times is going to crap out, i would def go with an optima, yellow is the best for excessories but thats only when the car is on, another red is probably your best bet, if your near Dallas tx PM me i can hook you up on one