Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help educate the new girl.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help educate the new girl.

This is my first season of racing. I have an '02 Ram Air Firebird M6. Has new air box lid, Pro 5.0 shifter, and just put Hooker Headers and Corsa exhaust on it. Dropped almost .5sec. I obviously need tires, thinking Nittos. This is my daily driver. But I am not knowledgeable at all when it comes to the rearend. What exactly should I be looking, thinking about, etc? And, maybe a little explanation of the rearend (pinion, splines, etc.), if anyone feels up to it. Thanks guys.

Ran 12.92 last night. Best time yet.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help educate the new girl.

Glad to to see a car chick post.... you're on the right track with the bolt on mods A set of DR's will help alot w/your 60', which IMO is what you'll always be looking to whittle down, whether you go all out mods, or just bolt ons.

Not sure what your intentions are w/the car.... and everyone's definition of a daily driver is different.

Guessing w/the M6 you've got a 3:43 gear in the rear... upgrading the ring/pinion to a 3:73, or 4:10 would help get the car moving off the line, as a lower(numerically higher) gear would act as a torque multiplier(which is a good thing).

A lot of folks have, and are running respectable times with DR's and the 10 bolt, but many others have grenaded the stock 10 bolt on a high rpm launch and well prepped track.

I ran my 10 bolt/4:10's hard for two years before I went w/a 12 bolt/slicks, and never broke a gear/carrier, or axle. IMO, it's all in the launch. If you pre-load the rear(just enough clutch engagement to take the slack out of the gears w/out moving the car forward)just before launch the shock of the launch doesn't seem to hurt the rear as bad.

As far as explaining how a rear end and it's components work, go to www.howthingswork.com which will give you a better understanding much quicker than I could here.

Btw....nice ET for a basically stock car on street radials first season out What was the 60', and MPH?

Old 09-18-2003, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the website. When I have a spare minute (ha ha) I think that will help a lot. I have 3:42 gears. As far as plans for the car......right now it is the only car of mine. Planned on going conservative, but now that I have a little taste......who knows. My husband has a '99 and a '79 camaro. He has been doing this for years. I take advise from him, but I kind of want to do my own thing. We have a friendly competition. Anyway I have visions of a supercharger of some kind. No intrest in nitrous at all. Having a blast, though. The 60' foot was 2.01 at 108mph. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyway I have visions of a supercharger of some kind. No intrest in nitrous at all. Having a blast, though. The 60' foot was 2.01 at 108mph. Thanks again for all the help.
Good Job!
Old 09-18-2003, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 60' foot was 2.01 at 108mph.
Yah....tires and a gear first. For every 1/10th you cut off your 60' is good for ~ 2/10ths in ET. Get that 60' down to a 1.80 or so, and you're poppin' off some low 12.50's... w/a little practice on the tree.... 12.30's are yours ....don't forget the headers...there's another 2/10ths
Old 09-19-2003, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Yeah, the tree is killin' me. Practice, practice, practice. I already have the headers (Hooker headers). Yeah, my next "investment" will be tires. Probably LS1 Edit, too. I think I need an extra 500 to 1000 rpm on the rev-limiter. Thanks again for the advise.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

uhhhh do you have stock internals, if so i would strongly advise not touching the rev limiter, un less you have a very strong grudge against your ls1