Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My DD dumdumdumdum vs. buddies hot cam LT1

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My DD dumdumdumdum vs. buddies hot cam LT1

Well since my Trans Am is still down for this ******* 4l80e swap, I had a little roll race with my friend tonight in his LT4 hot cammed Z28. He's full bolt ons as well with 4.10s, made 331 rwhp and 335 rwtq. His car has gone a best of 12.88 @ 112 on street tires.

My dumdumdumdum has a 3'' downpipe w/ cutout, ebay big front mount intercooler, 3'' cold air intake, and an AGP wastegate actuator set to spike 18 psi and hold 14ish psi to redline. I have not had it dynoed or ran it at it's current state.

Only had a chance to go once. Didn't think he really wanted to race as we were cruising to our friend's apartment. We were cruising along at 60 mph and I got up beside him to see if he'd play, fully expecting him to hand me my ***. 3 honks, no brake boosting on my part. I jumped out a car length, maybe a car and a half. Was expecting him to come by but he never reeled me in. Maintained a car length to the top of 4th, where he missed 5th and I let out. Was really surprised at the outcome to be honest with you.

Just a disclaimer by me, yes I know everyone hates SRT4s, but for a daily driver, I think it's a pretty decent running car with minimal mods. I hate the stigma that comes along with driving one and I realize that 85% of the SRT community are idiots, as confirmed by some of the things I've experienced on SRTforums, the most ridiculous forum on the internet. The good news is, I'm selling my dumdumdumdum and buying my friend's cam only GTO, so try not to hate me too much.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice run. got the lt1 in the right spot
Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

SRT driving queer!

That's odd you beat him, my neon with more mods couldn't beat my bolt on LT1, was close though.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I for one would love to have a dumdumdumdumdum as a dd...but yea I'd trade it for the Gto as well...good run
Old 11-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Don't lump all the SRT people as idiots now, just the 4's. 8's and 10's are usually ok.

J
Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's really funny.....Back when the 1st gen Neon guys were hopping those up, nobody had a real problem with them. People thought it was great that an American compact could easily show the Japanese car leghumpers a thing about cheap speed.

Then Chrysler decided to copy what the 1st gen tuners were doing (swapping 2.4 turbo engines in them) with the 1st gen on the 2nd gen.

Didn't take long for the schmucks to start rolling out of the woodwork then. Now, what was supposed to be the savior of the american sport compact segment is nothing more than a cliche.......scratch that, joke now.

What's really sad is that the GLHS will always garner some respect among serious gearheads and the SRT4s will always be viewed as a joke because of the knuckleheads that bought them.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
What's really funny.....Back when the 1st gen Neon guys were hopping those up, nobody had a real problem with them. People thought it was great that an American compact could easily show the Japanese car leghumpers a thing about cheap speed.

Then Chrysler decided to copy what the 1st gen tuners were doing (swapping 2.4 turbo engines in them) with the 1st gen on the 2nd gen.

Didn't take long for the schmucks to start rolling out of the woodwork then. Now, what was supposed to be the savior of the american sport compact segment is nothing more than a cliche.......scratch that, joke now.

What's really sad is that the GLHS will always garner some respect among serious gearheads and the SRT4s will always be viewed as a joke because of the knuckleheads that bought them.

I agree 100%. You know it's bad when I hate the community so much that I don't even want the car anymore because of it. I don't want to be lumped in with them, associated with the way they act, anything. If anyone ever wants to feel like a genius, just go take a peek at SRTforums.com.

And a side not, I'd love to have a nice Omni GLHS, they may be uglier than sin but that'd just add to the fun in my opinion.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

boo he should have raped you your not close to 12s nor trapping 112 in that dumdumdumdum with its current setup. ohwell. i do like them as a car and they put alot of foreign automakers in there places when it came to compact performance.

and srtg4rl made them famous. shame they stopped making them.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
boo he should have raped you your not close to 12s nor trapping 112 in that dumdumdumdum with its current setup. ohwell. i do like them as a car and they put alot of foreign automakers in there places when it came to compact performance.

and srtg4rl made them famous. shame they stopped making them.
Actually I guarantee my car would trap 110 or better. On a good drag radial or slick, it is a 12 second car. He didn't miss a shift or anything, and he can drive pretty good. I know "pretty good" is somewhat subjective, but it doesn't take a great driver to drive from a roll either.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Meh, anything can happen on the street.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

There maybe alot of guys on SRTforums but same is true for here! There are alot of guys on there that are genuinely bad *** at what they do! They prolly say the same thing about us cause we're all pushrod driving mullet lovers and it doesn't take alot of money to makes those bastards fast...... if you know what your doin. My brothers skittle trapts 114 ALL day stock turbo!
Old 11-15-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
Actually I guarantee my car would trap 110 or better. On a good drag radial or slick, it is a 12 second car. He didn't miss a shift or anything, and he can drive pretty good. I know "pretty good" is somewhat subjective, but it doesn't take a great driver to drive from a roll either.
You ran it at the track?
Old 11-15-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BOOST!!!!! Lots and lots of BOOST!!!!! Sorry, had to get that out. There is nothing wrong with those neons, but to be honest, with so few mods, you maybe shouldn't have won, but anything does happen on the street.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chavez885
You ran it at the track?
Back when I first got it, without fuel mods spiking 17 holding 13ish, I went 13.6 @ 108 with a 2.36 60'. It was about 95 degrees that day too. I was trying to baby big time to keep from breaking it as my other car was down as well. I still ended up popping an axle so I guess I should've given it hell anyways. Now with the added boost, no boost leaks, and limited slip diff (the cold weather doesn't hurt either), I don't see why the car wouldn't go 13.20s @ 110ish with a 2.1 60'. What I'd really like to do is slap some M/T drag radials on it and see what happens. But that means I'd have to stop spending money on the T/A for a little bit and I don't see that happening.

Quick Reply: My DD dumdumdumdum vs. buddies hot cam LT1