LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

wiring up my own automatic low temp fan switch...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring up my own automatic low temp fan switch...

i am trying to figure out how i could wire up my own manual fan switch so that it would stay around the 160* to match the thermostat.

could i wire it to turn both fans on at 170 and have it cool back down and turn off at 160*?

i do not necessarily know what i would need to do, but here is what i was thinking.

here is what i was thinking: i would hook a meter to CTS when it is at 160 degrees tapping into the wire, and finding a resistor to tell it when to turn off. heat it up to ~170* and get the proper resistor for that.

here are a few questions...

do both fans turn on and off simutaneously?
does the CTS send signal in resistance or voltage?

or woudl i be better off dropping the $70 on an aftermarket controler (hypertech, slp, etcl) and not figuring this out?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can get an SLP plug & play, i think thats what there called, it hooks up fairly simple, no splicing of any wires, just ground it, i don't know how much they are, another thing you can do is hook up a manual switch, Shoebox has a diagram that shows how to hook it up, i just went through this on my 97, the other option is just have the PCM tuned & they can re-adjust where you want the fans to come on at.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

do both fans turn on and off simutaneously?
if this is what you mean:
On early '94 and earlier, the fans worked with 2 relays, one fan would run for first turn on, and both for second stage turn on.
Late '94 and up, work on a 3 relay setup, both fans run at low speed for first turn on, then both bump up to high speed for the second stage turn on.

Sara Lou
Old 11-12-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LM97Z
You can get an SLP plug & play, i think thats what there called, it hooks up fairly simple, no splicing of any wires, just ground it, i don't know how much they are, another thing you can do is hook up a manual switch, Shoebox has a diagram that shows how to hook it up, i just went through this on my 97, the other option is just have the PCM tuned & they can re-adjust where you want the fans to come on at.

i saw their diagram for a manual switch, and am considering that, but is there a way you could wire it up so its not always hot. i would prefer hot in run, so i dont forget to turn it off for some stupid reason and kill the battery.

does anybody know of a way to fool with the existing relays to alter temp without a tune, or switch like the SLP?

i am trying to avoid the $75 for the SLP switch so i can re-alocate the money somewhere else.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

yes. You could take the negative signal from pcm to activate relays and put them on a temp switch from painless like 35 bucks from summit. And then the factory power to them is still controlled but now you control when they come on automatically. I have the 185 on 170 off switch on my truck.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

i think i am going to be getting Autotap and LT1 edit soon enough so i will use the software to change the fan on/off temps.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 301 Likes on 227 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by impaled
i saw their diagram for a manual switch, and am considering that, but is there a way you could wire it up so its not always hot. i would prefer hot in run, so i dont forget to turn it off for some stupid reason and kill the battery.
Do you know how a Relay works and how to wire one in?
I wired in both of mine manual, I have 2 seperate switches to control both, and they are one speed.
And with the Key off, they go off, the Wires that control the Fan Relay Switches are powered by a IGN Hot wire, so when they Key goes off, the Fans go off.

I re-built my whole Fuse Box for my LSX setup, I only have 7 Fuses and 2 Relays in it, and the Relays are for the Fans, there is nothing else in my Fuse Box.

If you understand how to wire a Relay, and know what Wire does what from the Computer, you can set the Fans to run on high speed at a preset Temp in the Computer if you want to Tune it for it.

Quick Reply: wiring up my own automatic low temp fan switch...