Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time wet & dry kit together, Intake blew in half

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time wet & dry kit together, Intake blew in half

I was testing a different nitrous setup on my car last night, I took it out around the corner from my house and squeezed the new setup. Ive been running a 250 NX single fogger for a couple weeks with good success. No knock retard, good plugs, dyno shows a/f in the 10:1 range.

I wanted to turn down the wet shot to avoid any chance of ever puddling or backfire etc. So i went to a 200 wet jetting and T'd off to a nitrous solenoid and sprayed a dry line before the MAF with a 40 dry jetting in it.

I went out and tested it, the car made huge power for about 2 seconds and BOOM it backfire VERY loud. Car instantly started banging on the rev limiter. Shut it off, pulled over popped the hood. It blew the whole back of the intake manifold out. Theres a $400 lesson. Good thing it was right around corner from home, went home got the tow strap and pulled it home.

what could have happened here? Ive ran a 200/250 wet through like 30 bottles with zero problems. Now i try a small dry and it blows.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:15 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: First time wet & dry kit together, Intake blew in half

Were you loggin the pull? Did it go lean? Backfire?
Phillip
Old 09-20-2003, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

wasnt logging the pull. Im guessing the dry part of the kit was the cause of the lean problem.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

I don't see how going lean is going to blow off the intake.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow that 250 shot blew the welds on your intake manifold..... hahahah....sorry i have waited since that dumb azz movie came out to say that to someone.....
Old 09-21-2003, 03:05 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

LOL, that was funny, then I read your sig, laughed more then I read your user name : jaberwaki, and laughed even harder! I think I might be one of only 3 or 4 on this board that knows what that is.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:07 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

How close where your injectors to being maxed out? Did you spray rite at the MAF or did you just fog the box? We need a little more on your setup.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Think of the good side it was only your intake not your whole motor.

And

Whats a jaberwaki?
Old 09-22-2003, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think BMN is on the right track. What year car? Stock injectors? On motor with a TR230 cam + headers + mild home port, my stock injectors are past 100% duty. If you have stock injectors you're probably in the same boat. Then you added a 40 shot dry and ran out of fuel.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think BMN is on the right track. What year car? Stock injectors? On motor with a TR230 cam + headers + mild home port, my stock injectors are past 100% duty. If you have stock injectors you're probably in the same boat. Then you added a 40 shot dry and ran out of fuel.
But if he ran out of fuel, wouldnt that blow the motor.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:51 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

Nah, most likely a lean back fire. He probly ran just a little too low. How are the plugs? That will tell us a lot too.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

I'm wondering that when you put a T on the nitrous, to tap for your dry shot, you changed the presure from which your original 250 shot was set at.

If this were true, then wouldn't you actually have been running less nitrous than was needed, even when set at 200 and thus caused a rich condition, so much so the fuel puddled and when ignited, blew up the intake?

You might have gotten lucky by only messing up the intake, whether it was a lean or rich condition. When the new LSX intake comes out, you can get one with burst panels, and minimize your chances of such an explosion.

You should have been doing the testing while on the dyno, wideband, and you would have known before getting too far into it that it was not right. If you are going to run a dry in combination to the motor, get a dedicated system.

I have an extra LS6 intake, if you need one. $300 + shipping?

What was your RPM when you activated the system? I would tune it to the 200 shot, maybe at 3500-3800, then activate the dry shot at 4500. There should be plenty of air flow into the intake at that point to avoid the puddling. Just my .02. Let me know if you need an intake.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

What size N20 line are you running? I know the TEA car had to upgrade to a 6AN when running a 150wet, 100dray.... 4AN wouldn't cut it.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

the backfire blowing off the intake could be likely due to hitting the rev limiter or the other situation could be you have a single Nozzle running now a 200 shot right? then you tee off the NOS side for the "dry" shot right? and you sprayed BOTH at the same time right? or which one was activated first? i would have to say a very real possibility is your Nozzle was not seeing full NOS pressure and was not atomizing the fuel properly out of the nozzle and you did in fact puddle and create a back fire. keep in mind guys when an intake blows off fuel is present.. period.. i do not agree with a "lean" scenario causing this... you would melt pistons etc.. nos is not explosive by itself and being lean would burn hot and melt first not blow up. explosions are created by too much fuel.. but this is only my 02... i would use a dyno with my "home grown" setups... i recommend you do the same in the future for nothing else but keeping yourself from writing unnecessary checks for parts.... this definitly could have been worse...
Old 09-29-2003, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

cool ;D

i mean, man that sucks, but it's cool that it only took out the intake and nothing else..
Old 10-01-2003, 03:48 AM
TECH Regular

I think Black Sunshine is right. Coming from an engineering background (as opposed to nitrous experience), if you were to T off of the line, you would drop the pressure at the 200 junction. However, you would still be adding fuel for the 200 shot. As such, you would have too much fuel in the mixture. With all that extra fuel, I suppose it ignited and ventilated the backend of your intake.

Just my thoughts
Old 10-01-2003, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

The airfilter on my car bolts directly up to the massair, I had the dry fogger about 12-15" away.

I had both foggers hooked to the button so they came on at the same time approx 4500 rpm or so.

So possibly you think it was losing pressure at the wet nozzle even though the dry kit was using such a small jet (40hp)?? and then it didnt atomize the fuel correct?

Also it "decreened" my slp maf for me and taco'ed the air filter.