LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

will this work to repair damaged spark plug threads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will this work to repair damaged spark plug threads?

So i just picked up a LT1 T/A pretty cheap cause it has a few problems. When i got the car, the # 8 plug was not intalled because the owner said it backed out while he was driving. After a little research on his favorite car forum, I see that he had his girlfriend helping him do plugs on it and she crossthreaded/stripped the threads. So i got under the car and the plug wont even begin to catch threads on the head and go in at all! ...BUT im thinking this may be good cause I think probably only the first few threads were damaged by installing the plug crooked/wrong...

think something like this would be able to fix it bygetting set in the threads at the back of the hole that are still good and re tapping them at the front?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3677_200353677
Old 11-14-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

That tool looks good, but sears had a thread repair kit also. The reason I am telling you, is your going to have a hard time getting the one you listed started due to length. The sears type are only 2-3 inches. It is worth giving that a shot. I am sure you dont want any aluminum shavings in the chamber, which is something to think about. If you are only trying to repair the outer threads, I would even run a tap in there if the other doesn't work.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Launching!

I did the same thing to my heads a while back changing plugs. The tool you have works wonders, although it is going to be a pain in the *** on #8. Just take your time and make sure you grab the threads from all the way inside the head and work it out nice and slow.

Quick Reply: will this work to repair damaged spark plug threads?