Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92 engine mods

Posted this on PT.net and didn't get much help figured I'd have better luck over here:

Hey kinda new to engine mods, and was wondering how much it would cost (given reasonable engine shop costs), and how much of a gain I could expect out of porting the L92 heads and the L92 intake. Or how much better the flow is on an L76 intake, and where I could get one if its worth it-I have had trouble finding one. Also how hard is it to port the heads, and is it easy to eff it up and what the repercussions are if a bad job is done. Finally would you guys recommend porting the heads/intake and camming this engine or supercharging it-both setups with headers and full 3" exhaust I would say....Thats a string of questions, sorry, but thanks in advance for your help..
Old 11-15-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I take it that you have a truck by your sig. The L-76 won't fit its for cars. You would have to change the pulley system and go with electric fans if you don't have them. IMO its not worth the money to change the manifold. If It was my truck I would put a Magncharger on it and be done with it. I might put some long tubes and a cam. One of the LS3 Vette cams ,ZO6 or Base one would work. On the older 6.0 trucks the 02 and up LS6 cam gave good power gains. You should also change out your springs with the Vettes also. I would n't do the heads they are fine in stock condition. If you have DOD on your truck I would be careful about how much spring pressure and preload you put on the stock lifters.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks a lot man. I do have a truck, it is a 96 Tahoe. Thanks for the heads up about the intake manifold, I didn't realize that it would only work on cars-I knew they came on the G8s. How much would a new pulley system cost just because I'm curious. I already plan on replacing the intake/exhaust valves with the sodium filled ones from the LS3 as the heads on my engine are from an 07 Escalade and there have been problems with weak valve stems breaking and dropping into the chamber. Not really sure if I know if mine has DOD, but I will find out. How much are the new springs would you think, and could I install them myself-(pretty new to this but tore the whole engine down myself)? Thanks a lot for your help
Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know the cost of the serpitine system. Yea you can do the spings and the valves. I bought the LS3 valves for my new heads. The intakes are different the exhaust are the same P/N for both heads. Make sure you lap the new valves to the seats of the heads. You can buy a lapping tool cheap, its a little stick with suction cups on it. You place the valve in the head and put some lapping compound on the face of the valve( the edges where it seals to the head) take the tool and stick it to the face of the valve and roll it back and forth between your hands. You don't put alot of pressure on it basically the weight of the valve it self. You"ll see a nice thin line on the valve when your done. I don't know how much spring pressure you can run on a DOD lifter. Is the whole engine from an Escolade? If so it probally is DOD. I would think a LS6 spring would be ok. You can use a newer truck manifold for your heads ,they flow ok .
Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 AM
FormerVendor

We have water pump spacers that allow you to run the L76 intake on a truck accessory arrangement.

Just an FYI.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats cool. I wish I'd known before I sold my Fast 90. I could have run it on my 6.0 4X4 truck.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks, I'll shoot you an e-mail and see about the cost and if I can get an L76 intake

Quick Reply: L92 engine mods