Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Looking for new rear speakers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for new rear speakers!

I'm finally going to upgrade the pioneers in my sail panels, in favor of something with more bass. After upgrading my home stereo to some 7" drivers that cover everything well without a sub (yes, there is a sub for the real low stuff) I realized how much tighter and smoother the bass sounds out of smaller speakers. For this reason, I'm looking for some 6.5" or slightly oversize speakers for the rear so that I can turn down the crossover on the sub a bit (10kv.2), and have the smaller speakers cover them more. It's all covered in ED butyl mat and foam barrier, and the sail panels and front of the quarters are stuffed with fiberglass.

The ED 7kv.2 was a good looking choice, but I decided I want something full range for those times someone is in the back seat so they aren't just listening to bass.

So in short, I want a full range 6.5" speaker with really nice, tight mid bass. Crossover will be around the bottom end of a kick drum.

Coax would probably be preferred as I'm not sure where I'd mount a tweeter back there, but component is an option as well.

As far as price range...Kind of depends what it takes to get what I want, I'd like to keep it under 2-300 for the pair. If I can get it for less, then I'm all for it.

TIA!
Old 11-28-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd get some 6.5 subs. Just turn down the bass on the occasion when you have someone in the back. I've never heard aftermarket full range speakers that really have anything good under mids. You have hatch speakers right? They will hear the music fine from there, but either one you will have to turn down the bass since its right next to their face.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

No, nothing in the hatch but the stealth box. I'm perfectly happy with the sound staging as it is, and the front speakers can use a bit of reinforcement in certain ranges which is easily covered by the 16-band EQ. I just need someone that's a little more responsive toward the bottom.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not going to get a 2-way full-range speaker with good bass in that size. You either go "full-range" or good bass, but not both.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

I guess I didn't really make it very clear.

These are not intended to replace my subwoofer. I don't expect the music to sound great with the sub off. I want some of the best (clearest, smoothest) bass I can get in a full range 6.5" speaker I can get for a reasonable dollar. The cheap pioneers I have in there almost fit the bill, but at my highest listening volume they begin to distort, and it's not the cleanest bass out there.

With the 16-band equalizer I have, I can make a decent speaker sound great, or an ok speaker sound good, right now I have the ladder, but you can tell by looking at my EQ curve.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Well I went with Rainbow SL 165 on a trusted audio guy's recommendation. I had to order them from the UK so I'm not sure how long it will be before they get here but I think I'll be happy with them. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
Well I went with Rainbow SL 165 on a trusted audio guy's recommendation. I had to order them from the UK so I'm not sure how long it will be before they get here but I think I'll be happy with them. Thanks for the help.
Great brand!!!