LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

97 Trans am running a bit rough...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 Trans am running a bit rough...

well I am trying to help my brother out with his trans am and figure out his problem. The car has a brand new Jasper engine installed recently and was running strong. All of the sudden he has been having serious problems with it stalling out on him at a stop and problems starting up. We have had it to many mechanics and it stumped them. When the car doesnt start, he has taken the tube off that goes from the air box to the intake and fires right up.. anyone have any advice to what they think might be the problem? Has anyone seen or heard of this before?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Teching In

I know there has to be an lt1 freak out there with an idea.. nobody?!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

auto? manual? what does it have for mods?
Old 11-29-2008, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Mass air flow sensor. Needs replacement
Old 11-30-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Might not be your problem, but I'll tell you my story just incase.

Over the course of modding my T/A, I had an issue with the car stalling while stopping at lights and such... slight hard starting, but not so bad where you would have to crank it for more than 3-5 seconds. Also, a slight bog when first hitting the gas from a dig.

The issue cropped up slowly over time, getting worse in the last few years. I've had my car tunned 4 times now, due to progresive mods and such, each time the tunner would attack the stalling issue while tunning for the new mods and each time it would get better but not fully go away.

Mind you, this is with 4 different tunners up and down the east coast... the reason for that being, partially location and the fact that I wasn't confident of tunning ability, seeing as each one couldn't address the problem.

Fast forward to my last tune... this was done by a local guy who could rewrite GM code on my PCM to fool the emissions in my state. Thats all I wanted done during this tunning session, but he said he would look over the tune anyways and make sure it all looked good.

BTW... this guy does not tune for any shop, he just does it for friends and for fun.

After the first baseline pull and datalog, he walk over to the car and does something to the throttle body. He then walks over to me and asks me if I've had problems with stalling and bog... course I laugh and say YES!

He tells me I had my throttle stop screw (I think... it was a few years back) adjusted wrong, and a few twists of a screw/allen was all that was needed to fix my problem.

I'm like... your F'ing kidding me, that's all it was! Three other "professional" tunners had over looked such a simple thing!

After it was all said and done... 4 pulls later I had picked up a little horsepower and fooled the state, I was happy. Then, I get into my car and leave... totaly blown away by the difference in how my car drove.

Idle was smooth and steady, chops from the cam, but no surge. Stoplights were a dream, no more possibilities of stalling and now she jumps out of the hole like she's just been rear-ended.

This might apply to you, or it might not...
Old 11-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by impaled
auto? manual? what does it have for mods?
6 speed...i am not to sure exactly what the car has, I know for a fact it has a brand new crate engine, he put different heads on it, not sure which ones, has
an intake, and full exhaust.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Houdini
Might not be your problem, but I'll tell you my story just incase.

Over the course of modding my T/A, I had an issue with the car stalling while stopping at lights and such... slight hard starting, but not so bad where you would have to crank it for more than 3-5 seconds. Also, a slight bog when first hitting the gas from a dig.

The issue cropped up slowly over time, getting worse in the last few years. I've had my car tunned 4 times now, due to progresive mods and such, each time the tunner would attack the stalling issue while tunning for the new mods and each time it would get better but not fully go away.

Mind you, this is with 4 different tunners up and down the east coast... the reason for that being, partially location and the fact that I wasn't confident of tunning ability, seeing as each one couldn't address the problem.

Fast forward to my last tune... this was done by a local guy who could rewrite GM code on my PCM to fool the emissions in my state. Thats all I wanted done during this tunning session, but he said he would look over the tune anyways and make sure it all looked good.

BTW... this guy does not tune for any shop, he just does it for friends and for fun.

After the first baseline pull and datalog, he walk over to the car and does something to the throttle body. He then walks over to me and asks me if I've had problems with stalling and bog... course I laugh and say YES!

He tells me I had my throttle stop screw (I think... it was a few years back) adjusted wrong, and a few twists of a screw/allen was all that was needed to fix my problem.

I'm like... your F'ing kidding me, that's all it was! Three other "professional" tunners had over looked such a simple thing!

After it was all said and done... 4 pulls later I had picked up a little horsepower and fooled the state, I was happy. Then, I get into my car and leave... totaly blown away by the difference in how my car drove.

Idle was smooth and steady, chops from the cam, but no surge. Stoplights were a dream, no more possibilities of stalling and now she jumps out of the hole like she's just been rear-ended.

This might apply to you, or it might not...
awesome.. i really appreciate that info. really seems a lot like his issue. car runs strong when you're on it..come to a light and it wants to stall... and starting it, like i said in my first description, you can crank the **** out of it and nothing.. take that pipe off the intake and fires right up.. very strange but I will try a few things now as I heard this.. thanks a lot!!

Quick Reply: 97 Trans am running a bit rough...