LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

head gasket/ stumble

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket/ stumble

Some of you might remember my battle with the high idle and starting of my LT1 conversion. I guess it ain't over yet.

I pulled my PCV valve and saw some of the White milky stuff! Popped the oil fill cap and found more! Pulled the dipstick and just found clean oil. It finally starts up and idles down to a decent rpm, but it stumbles off idle. If you do it fast enough it will die, slow enough and it overcomes. Will idle around 180-210 degrees. I still have to floor it occasionally to start it like its flooded. 20psi vacuum and I can't find a leak. Haven't noticed any major coolant loss. No codes, revs fine, good fuel pressure, sounds healthy. Could the stumble be a leak at the head gasket that doesn't register on the gauge and what is the likelihood of this being the floor it to start it problem?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The places you listed to find milkshakish oil are pretty common for a car that does alot of short road trips. If your car doesnt reach temp it never gets to burn that condensation off. I doubt you have a blown headgasket if thats the only symptoms you have found. Other than that I've got nothing for ya as far as the stumble goes. I would say it's the o2's but I think you already replaced those.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best thing to do in a case like that is to unplug things like your maf and o2 s and see if that fixes the problem. run it ith them unplugged and if it runs better then just plug one at a time and see which it is.also if its been sitting for a while there is always a possibility the opti has gotten a little moisture in it,less likely on the 95 and newer lt1's but mine did something similar when it sat for a while.

Quick Reply: head gasket/ stumble