I'm starting to get pissed

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I'm starting to get pissed

Can someone please explain why I've had my car for a little over a year and I've replaced each low beam headlight at least twice if not three times? It alternates. One will go out and about 2-3weeks later the other will follow suit. Once both are replaced, they last about 3 months and then it's time to replace again. Wiring is the issue I'm sure, but can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

You arent touching the bulbs with your bare hands, are you?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DSIM
You arent touching the bulbs with your bare hands, are you?

I'm not too sure if we're thinking about the same bulb. Is there an area I can't touch, b/c I didn't think it mattered on these:

Old 11-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Launching!

I think he's trying to say that some people don't know about our fingers having natural oils in them and when we touch them, a little oil rubs off on the bulb causing it to turn "hotter" making the bulb burn out prematurely. I stand corrected but that's pretty much the standard thinking about touching bulbs, halogen's etc.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

your car hates you for making it sound like a farm truck thats why...haha jk Kelly...but seriously...

you could have a short somewhere? tried checking any of the wires?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Clean and tighten the grounds, they are on top of the core support. High resistance makes a circuit run hotter. These bulbs are sealed beam, can't touch the filament or it's capsule like most newer cars.

Can someone tell me why my LF turn signal / daytime running lamp won't last a month? My wife tailgates and the lamp lens keeps getting cracked is all I can figure. But I've been pissed off about it for a few years now. I even put in an electronic flasher so the tail lamps would still blink no matter what.

Vernon
Old 11-30-2008, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

That's what I was thinking, but I'm not too sure where to begin. Just to make myself clear, I'm saying that I was agreeing with the shorting comment you made, not the exhaust comment. To that, you can eat cow crap. Ha Ha, j/k. Besides, nobody likes a band waggoner...you know it sounds badass.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Clean and tighten the grounds, they are on top of the core support. High resistance makes a circuit run hotter. These bulbs are sealed beam, can't touch the filament or it's capsule like most newer cars.

Can someone tell me why my LF turn signal / daytime running lamp won't last a month? My wife tailgates and the lamp lens keeps getting cracked is all I can figure. But I've been pissed off about it for a few years now. I even put in an electronic flasher so the tail lamps would still blink no matter what.

Vernon
I've got the same problem but on mine it's trying to melt the plug.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesn't matter if you touch the lense of a sealed beam.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Grimlock
I think he's trying to say that some people don't know about our fingers having natural oils in them and when we touch them, a little oil rubs off on the bulb causing it to turn "hotter" making the bulb burn out prematurely. I stand corrected but that's pretty much the standard thinking about touching bulbs, halogen's etc.
Yea, I knew that about the new bulbs, and I was pretty sure about the sealed lights. I just wanted to make sure DSIM knew what kind of bulb I was talking about.

Vernon

Thanks for the heads up man. I'm willing to try anything. Luckily it's not something hugely expensive, but it is a pain to constantly have to change them.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vernon
I had this problem. It was moisture getting into the bulb. There should be a gasket where the bulb socket fits into the lamp housing. I went ghetto and used silicone. Since I did that I haven't had a turn signal burn out.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I had this problem. It was moisture getting into the bulb. There should be a gasket where the bulb socket fits into the lamp housing. I went ghetto and used silicone. Since I did that I haven't had a turn signal burn out.
Never ceases to amaze me.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vast cess pool of knowlege, I have.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
That was also my problem water!

+1 on the silicone its cheap and easy!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PatriotT/A
That's what I was thinking, but I'm not too sure where to begin. Just to make myself clear, I'm saying that I was agreeing with the shorting comment you made, not the exhaust comment. To that, you can eat cow crap. Ha Ha, j/k. Besides, nobody likes a band waggoner...you know it sounds badass.

but ya check everything man. and like Manic said, clean everything too.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

The Yoda pic never gets old

Kelly this is payback for the hoodie. Enjoy your bulb.

LOL

I just went through a spell to Kelly, where if you remember I had bulbs burning out like it was a competition. Now everything is good again, and I even took care of those bulbs like they were newborns.

I think you have to get them baptized before you install them...
Old 12-01-2008, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RyanM02
The Yoda pic never gets old

Kelly this is payback for the hoodie. Enjoy your bulb.

LOL

I just went through a spell to Kelly, where if you remember I had bulbs burning out like it was a competition. Now everything is good again, and I even took care of those bulbs like they were newborns.

I think you have to get them baptized before you install them...
I'll contact my local ordained minister and see if he can do something.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

on my front turn signals the right side always craps out on me. but its dirt and moisture getting into the socket. looks muddy. hate it
Old 12-02-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Just throw away the halogen setup and go HID's!! 6k on a white car looks clean
Old 12-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

That happened to the vette and its over $400 to fix it and over $150 to change the 99cent bulbs so i just did it at the house.... for 99 cents a bulb