Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Emergancy Brake Adjust

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency Brake Adjust

How do you adjust the emergency brake on a 97 camaro?

Last edited by Wescat Racing; 12-02-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 96 F-body manual is all wrong - it's got carry over information, maybe the 97 book was corrected...

When I replaced the cable from the console to the two e-brake junction block - it was far too long; I had to fab up a block to take the slack out of the system. I put the end of the center console cable thru the block, then secured the block to the junction point after removing the slack.

Think of the barrel type hoodie draw string locks and you'll get the idea of what I made out of an internally threaded 2" length of pipe (with a hole drilled thru the center) and a couple of bolts.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Wescat Racing
How do you adjust the emergency brake on a 97 camaro?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is on my dads car it wouldn't pass inspection because it would not hold.He went by some brake place and they told him he needed new calipers so I was trying to figure out why.They didn't even put it on a rack.It is hard for me to help fix this problem,I just had back surgery three weeks ago.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which rear brakes are on the car? Disc or drum? If it is disc, it is a drum-in-hat and there is some adjustment inside of the hub of the rear disc. The front cable is just a self adjust at the lever (it has that spring on there that preloads the cables). Make sure that self adjuster is working properly. You should be able to get it to move. Just be careful because it can snap and will pinch a finger if you have one in the way. I cannot remember if there was an additional adjuster in line under the car. If there is its a threaded rod and you can tighten it a little. Just don't make it too tight as you don't want to drag the rear brakes.