Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

l92 oil pump question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default l92 oil pump question

How tight should the gears be inside an l92 oil pump. This pump is GM with about 4k miles

It is a VVT engine, so that makes the pump a high volume.

I have to have the pump on the crank to even be able to turn the gears inside it. I can't turn them by hand.

I just want to make sure that this pump is good to use and not to tight for some reason.

On my old worn out ls1 pump, the gears flop around like it is nothing.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't comment on that pump specifically, but every other oil pump I have dealt with turns by hand. I have dealt with Honda oil pumps and Mazda rotary oil pumps as well. both turn by hand. I did notice that they get MUCH harder when they are trying to pump oil through them. When dry they turn easily.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw it out. GM has had alot of problems with this pump. I've had two so far that have been siezed. Here is a new bulletin from GM relating to this.

Aluminum Gen IV V8 Engine Block

(RPO Codes L76, L92, L9H, LC9, LH6, LH8, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS7)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update models and to clarify that the PI is referring to the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump. Please discard PIP4158A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain of low oil pressure, no oil pressure, and/or engine noise. This may be the result of a sticking oil pump pressure relief valve. In some instances, the customer may experience this intermittently if the valve frees up when the engine cools down.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI diagnosis isolates low mechanical oil pressure, replace the oil pump, flush the oil cooler lines (if equipped), clean the inside of the oil pan, change the oil and filter, and re-evaluate the concern.

Notice: If an engine noise is noticed after replacing the oil pump, follow the SI diagnosis and repair the engine as necessary.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2008 General Motors Cor

Quick Reply: l92 oil pump question