Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Aluminum Driveshaft services in New England area?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Aluminum Driveshaft services in New England area?

Hey Everyone,

I have a 5" (stepped shaft from 4" to 5" to 4") diameter drive shaft with 1350 joints removed from an 2000 Express van. I would like to use this shaft on my truck in my sig. I need to have it shortened 2" at both ends and balanced. 2 local drive shafts shops cant do it, and said something about the ends of the driveshaft being crimped on some GM shafts and cant be shortened???? anyone heard of this?

More to my point. Does anyone know of a driveshaft shop that might be able to do this for me? NH or MA area would be good.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-09-2008, 08:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Hey Everyone,

2 local drive shafts shops cant do it, and said something about the ends of the driveshaft being crimped on some GM shafts and cant be shortened???? anyone heard of this?
I heard of that before. Don't know if it is true, but definately heard it before. Why not just get a 3" or 3.5"chromemoly driveshaft with 1350 end and call it a day? It would probably cost about the same anyways plus then it'll be stronger.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
I heard of that before. Don't know if it is true, but definately heard it before. Why not just get a 3" or 3.5"chromemoly driveshaft with 1350 end and call it a day? It would probably cost about the same anyways plus then it'll be stronger.
I have a 3.5" steel shaft that could fit, but Im worried about critical speed. I am runing a th400 (1:1 3rd) with 3.08 gears and rev the motor to 6500 rpm and at highway speeds im around 3k rpm. Plus, the length from center to center is 67"

According to my math, a 5" diameter driveshaft will do the trick. I figured using the 5" one i have shortened, will cost be less than $200