Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Ring Gap

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Ring Gap

What does everyone think is a safe ring gap? I have been building race engines for about 26 years and always used settings like 22TOP' 14-16 SECOND' on engines running around 150-200 shot of NOS. A few years back started using whatever the ring brand reccomended... My last 427 stroker ran 28TOP 26SECOND.... Ran good and felt plenty safe...Just got off the phone with BENNETT RACING' and they set all their rings on 28TOP 28SECOND. He said they do this on all their engines from the small strokers up, and street machines also, when running 250shot & up. Cant argue with the guy's that build the motors that run the way Bennett's motors do! So i started doing all mine on 28/28, on motors running that much NOS. I see engines everyday come back where they were running tight gaps' and wind up with burnt pistons and all! Read a long page last night where Federal Mogule done some test and are now telling race-engine builders to run a larger gap on the Second ring than the top! They say test have shown' improved blowby, and picked up a few horsepower....I have also been running the Hellfire Rings that have been out about a year' they r some really tough rings for people running alot of NOS' or other power adders..;